News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greetings, I come in pieces

Started by jessenator, March 01, 2022, 11:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

...or would that be 'bill of materials?'

Salutations and felicitations. Been dabbling off an on with electronics since 2009 or so (mostly off), but have started picking it up again.

My real-life friend @neiloler got me into this awfully wonderful hobby around that time. Introduced me to Madbean's offerings and insisted on going for something easy, like an OD circuit. I considered the matter thoroughly, and in my infinite wisdom, and armed with complete inexperience with a soldering iron I decided to jump in waaay off in the deep end with a Jurgen Haible (RIP) ARP Quadra phaser circuit, etching my own PCB, milling my own through-holes, buying every component—fully confident that I knew an ohm from a watt—and just cracked on like the true hero I am... Thankfully I had a 1up hidden in my shirt pocket and promptly started over with something more sensible. Totally my own plan from the beginning, and not much permanent mental and ego damage was done.

But seriously, that Dunning-Kruger drop-off is a helluva thing, is all I can say. I can now enjoy the hobby and am looking to keep going with it.

madbean

Glad to have you! Neil was one of the very first  and frequent customers I had at the beginning of madbeanpedals - going way back to 2009.

Watch out for this group. They've been known to do such terrible things as...offering praise, encouraging one another, and not presuming one's knowledge or skill level. Just one time, I want a cage fight with dismemberment. But, nooooo, that's too much to ask  ::)

jessenator

I'll be on my guard then :D

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to making more beautiful boxes of sonic wrangling.

Thewintersoldier

Contrary to what Brian said...lol we are a pretty solid group here and glad to have you. Hope to see you around.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Guilty as charged...

Welcome aboard!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Thanks, all; I feel very welcomed. :)