News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inspired by Brian's generosity and want to see if we can do more together.

Started by matmosphere, March 08, 2022, 02:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we call this?

Decent Noise
0 (0%)
Svoboda Pedalworks
2 (12.5%)
Sovereign Stompboxes  or Sovereignty Stompworks.
1 (6.3%)
Pedals for People, or Pedal Aid
2 (12.5%)
Pedals For Ukraine
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 13, 2022, 03:44:06 AM

matmosphere

Brian's fundraiser was awesome and very thoughtful, and I know storyboardist is doing one on his site as well. It's inspiring and refreshing to see people care so much, so I wanted to see if we could do something as a larger community as well.

Here is the basic idea, we come up with a name for the group, build some pedals (DIY style) with artwork inspired by Ukraine, and find a way to auction them off and donate the proceeds to charity to help refugees.

Haven't worked out details yet, but I have ideas for a decent amount of it. But, and I know war sucks, I want to keep a positive bend here. Support for those in need, not disdain for the war. This is all terrible but I want to focus this effort on doing good where we can.

- first and foremost, the pedals.

• I say anything anyone wants to do circuit wise is cool as long as they are built well enough to go out into the world and handle use by other players.
  • As far as artwork I think it would be cool if we could use themes from Ukrainian culture. Their flag (as I'm sure many have seen lately) is Blue and Yellow, so if you are working in color that is a good place to start. Their national symbol is a very cool trident design that looks great as pedal artwork. The sunflower is their national flower and has taken on some significance in the war their so it could be cool to use, and if you want to get super fancy their national bird is the nightingale. Here is a link to some of their cultural symbolism. Vyshyvanka are a traditional shirt, that has fine embroidery that could look cool as artwork as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_symbols_of_Ukraine
  • What I really want to avoid with artwork is anything like F-ck P-tin or anything with violence or negative imagery. (Caroline Guitar Co already did a pretty amazing Fck PTN pedal anyway)

-Name: If there is some interest in doing this I'd like to come up with a name we could all vote one a maybe include in the artwork for each pedal. All suggestions are welcome. Pedals for (something) , DIY Stomps Out (something) I don't know, so ideas are super welcome.

-Fundraising: I am open to suggestions on is a platform to do the auction. Somewhere with high visibility would be good. I was thinking either way of starting an instagram page for this and putting the pedals there to see if it can get some attention so we can raise more money, but then it occurred to me that maybe we could auction through there as well somehow. I have seen raffles where people provide proof of donation for entry, I wonder if we could do a silent auction on there in a similar fashion. I kind of like the idea because then the money doesn't have to change hands, it goes directly to the charity and no extra fees are involved. It seems simple, and I like simple, but I'd like to hear what others think of the idea. Once again, it is something I've seen in the past, but I don't know a ton about it or if it is the best solution, so suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking it would be good to stagger the auctions a little, maybe start one every day or two and have them go for 4-5 days each, but it is dependent on how much interest there is in doing this.

Shipping: The easiest thing here is to have each builder ship their pedal instead of trying to get them all in one place and then shipping from there. It will save on the shipping cost and make delivery quicker. Depending on the size of this thing and the builder's needs I may offer to cover shipping, but that is something I need to sort out a bit. Again though, suggestions welcome.

-I'd like to maybe make it so each pedal auction listing (where ever they happen) has a picture of the pedal, a picture of the builder working on it (proof of DIYness), and maybe a pic of the builder holding the pedal. Audio demos would be cool and probably help boost the price, but they certainly won't be a make it or break it thing.

As far as the charities I am open to ideas as well, The World Kitchen seems to be doing a lot of good work there at the moment, Red Cross is another that may be good, but if anyone else has ideas then please let me know.

It also occurred to me that if we go with the proof of donation model where donations are directly from the winning bidder to the charity we could have a list of charities and let them select from that list.

There is probably many other details to consider, so if anyone has suggestions or ideas that I haven't thought about please let me know.

Because this is such a developing situation I'd like to get this moving, I've got one pedal built that I'll include and I'm going to try and do at least one more this week if I can find time. If there is interest then I want to start getting something up on instagram within a week or so if I can.

If you want to help and know others that might as well then feel free to share this post. Just remember let's keep it positive, I'd like to do this as a group under one name so we can maximize the possible funds we raise. I feel like if we do it in one place and have a couple things going at a time we might be able to build a little steam and raise a little more money.

Let me know what you think guys, I've never tried anything remotely like this before, so I am flying by the seat of my pants here.

At some point Brian very generously gave me a Sacred Cow board that had "DIY does it best" printed on it. He's absolutely correct  :) so let's see if we can do some good together.

jimilee

That's a lot of words man. I have just a bout a million pedals, none with Ukrainian art work. I was looking for a good way to get rid of some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Both points taken Jimi, thanks.

I hadn't considered opening it up to other stuff like that, I'm not opposed to it, but it would be cool to get at least some stuff built specifically for it if people are willing. There still may have to be some guidelines as far as artwork and things.

I'll go back and edit the first post later, when I get a chance.

Short version

- I'd like to get people to donate/auction pedals to raise money for refugees. If that is something you'd be willing to do reach out.

- I could also use help to figure out how to do some of this, a lot of that is in the first post, so if you think you could help with that let me know.

dan.schumaker

I'll jump in and help.  Once we figure out the guidelines on artwork or whatever else needs to be done, I'll be there with a pedal!

madbean

peccary

I'll throw in a Dizzy Elk for the cause. I knew I bought those yellow knobs for a reason!

storyboardist

I'm in as well. I've had a couple fledgling ideas I need to flesh out a bit more, but I'm in for a pedal or 3. And if anyone wants to build something off my site for this PM me.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bio77

I would contribute, I think it's a great idea.  I was thinking, however, that since the likely participants in the auction are going to be from the US, political concepts might raise more dollars.  Maybe graphics can be submitted for approval, to verify taste level? ::)

Jimi, maybe do a few re-houses?  Clears the shelf and only costs $5 for a new box.

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on March 08, 2022, 11:40:44 AM
I would contribute, I think it's a great idea.  I was thinking, however, that since the likely participants in the auction are going to be from the US, political concepts might raise more dollars.  Maybe graphics can be submitted for approval, to verify taste level? ::)

Jimi, maybe do a few re-houses?  Clears the shelf and only costs $5 for a new box.
I don't think you understand how many pedals I need to get rid of....[emoji16]

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Excellent! This is awesome guys.

So I think the first thing we really need is some kind of name do use for this we can put on artwork or just use for the instagram page. Any and all suggestions are welcome and we can go from there.

I already have one pedal built to use for this and think I will start another this week if I can. I'm spread kind of thin this week.

Quote from: Bio77 on March 08, 2022, 11:40:44 AM

I know exactly where you are coming from and I can relate to the temptation, but I really want to keep this all positive and I think it could be a slippery slope.

jjjimi84

fig

I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

matmosphere

You guys are all awesome!

So we need a name, something like "DIY Pedals For Peace" or "DIY Stomps Out Hunger", Brian suggested "Sovereignty Stomps" which really hits at the current situation.

Once we have a name I will put up an Instagram page. I'm leaning toward the model where the winner of the auction makes a donation directly then show us proof of that but I want to make sure that is a good, accountable way to do this.

To get things going I already have one pedal and I was thinking of doing a raffle for it to get started. Maybe email proof of a $5 donation and you get entered. Let it run for a 5-7 days then announce the winner. I'm hoping that by then (~2 weeks from now) We might have some more stuff to start auctioning.

This all sound okay?

Quote from: fig on March 09, 2022, 05:36:40 AM
Скільки and Де are my only questions.

How many, I don't know, I'm making this up as I go. (I mean this is DIY, right?)

Where, I think what I'll do is have builders send pictures I'll put on the listings. Then have the builder's ship to the winners directly.

Really though, I'd say start building when you can and we'll work out the rest as quick as possible.

As far as artwork the Ukrainian colors are always good, The Trident is a freaking cool logo so it would be great to use. Sunflowers aren't a bad idea. Feel free to reach out if you need a hand with that.

jimilee

Quote from: fig on March 09, 2022, 05:36:40 AM
Скільки and Де are my only questions.
Language!!!!      [emoji1787]

Thewintersoldier

Who the hell is Bucky?