News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inspired by Brian's generosity and want to see if we can do more together.

Started by matmosphere, March 08, 2022, 10:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we call this?

Decent Noise
0 (0%)
Svoboda Pedalworks
2 (12.5%)
Sovereign Stompboxes  or Sovereignty Stompworks.
1 (6.3%)
Pedals for People, or Pedal Aid
2 (12.5%)
Pedals For Ukraine
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 13, 2022, 10:44:06 AM

matmosphere

matmosphere

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

storyboardist

I dig Freedom Pedalworks, but wonder if it should be more humanitarian/peace or Ukraine specific? Freedom can lend itself to 'Merica memes pretty quick. Maybe we use the Ukrainian word for freedom, свобода/svoboda? I whipped this up real quick...

The subscript is (according to my friend who speaks Ukrainian) "All nations are Ukraine". An alternative could be "DIY Does It Better"

Quote from: matmosphere on March 09, 2022, 04:44:23 PM
Freedom Pedalworks or Stompworks?
Guy behind Effects Layouts

CossackAudio

Hey! I'm @storyboardist friend. I lived all over Eastern Europe for various reasons and just wanted to thank you all for doing this. My sons are half-Ukrainian (ex-wife's from Moldova, but ethnically Ukrainian). If I can be of help with the whole cultural thing, I'd be honored. I've said time and again, the only nation I'd die for is Ukraine (despite my US citizenship). Also, in that Music, Music section, I'll start a thread of Ukrainian music, if that's cool.
Я їду додому, до тебе додому,
Де очі знайомі і завжди нові!
Я їду додому, до тебе додому...
Які ж вони довгі, ті ночі і дні!

harryklippton

Quote from: CossackAudio on March 09, 2022, 06:19:45 PM
Hey! I'm @storyboardist friend. I lived all over Eastern Europe for various reasons and just wanted to thank you all for doing this. My sons are half-Ukrainian (ex-wife's from Moldova, but ethnically Ukrainian). If I can be of help with the whole cultural thing, I'd be honored. I've said time and again, the only nation I'd die for is Ukraine (despite my US citizenship). Also, in that Music, Music section, I'll start a thread of Ukrainian music, if that's cool.

I went to Chisinau in grad school and always wanted to go back but never made it there

CossackAudio

Quote from: harryklippton on March 09, 2022, 06:30:38 PM
I went to Chisinau in grad school and always wanted to go back but never made it there

I lived there for about 2.5 years total. It was such an odd but amazing city. My heart is still there in many ways!

benny_profane

I'm going to try to contribute a couple hand-painted one knob fuzzes (blue boxes with sunflower designs). I definitely agree that the messaging should be for support of the Ukrainian people and pro-peace, rather than being anti-war.

madbean

Quote from: storyboardist on March 09, 2022, 06:04:19 PM
I dig Freedom Pedalworks, but wonder if it should be more humanitarian/peace or Ukraine specific? Freedom can lend itself to 'Merica memes pretty quick.

I agree. "Freedom" has become a very loaded term in our politics in the US. It's mis-used around ideas or ideologies that are almost its antithesis. I'll suggest what I sent in my PM, but I'm not attached to it either.

Sovereign Stompboxes  or Sovereignty Stompworks.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

CossackAudio

I've been itching for years now to start a company called Cossack Audio and I think I'll probably use that, but contribute toward this end. Also, I've got a couple guys on the ground in Moldova who are helping me procure Soviet era NOS components. Let me know if you want something. I'll see what they can find. That said, who knows how long the post is going to take now.

matmosphere

Point taken on the use of the word freedom, how it applies to the Ukrainian situation and how it would come across are vastly different, and I'd like to attract as few trolls as possible.

I like Brian's suggestion, I also like Storyboardist suggestion to lean on the humanitarian side. Someone suggested just using " "Ukraine Rocks" as the name, someone else suggested "Pedals for Peace" which rolls off the tongue nicely, but is a little saccharin to me, but I'm not against it because it does kinda fit.

And Storyboardist, that artwork is great and I actually kind of like the idea of using the Ukrainian word for freedom. I get the potential pitfall, but I also wonder if we could address it right off the bat and talk about using the Ukrainian word because, in contrast to how it gets used these days the Ukrainian people of literally fighting for their sovereignty. At any rate if we use a design like that it would be awesome to get some stickers made or something.

Quote from: CossackAudio on March 09, 2022, 06:19:45 PM

Amazing, thank you so much for offering to get involved and offering to help with the cultural side of things. I lived in Kyiv for a couple of years. It's a great city, and I miss it. This is all so hard to watch.

Do you have any suggestions for organizations we could donate to, currently I'm thinking the World Kitchen would be good, as well as the Red Cross, but I am sure there are many other organizations to consider.

So the pedal I am planning to kick this off with, if it's good with everyone, is the one from this build report.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33547.0

storyboardist

Quote from: matmosphere on March 09, 2022, 09:40:59 PM
Point taken on the use of the word freedom, how it applies to the Ukrainian situation and how it would come across are vastly different, and I'd like to attract as few trolls as possible.

I like Brian's suggestion, I also like Storyboardist suggestion to lean on the humanitarian side. Someone suggested just using " "Ukraine Rocks" as the name, someone else suggested "Pedals for Peace" which rolls off the tongue nicely, but is a little saccharin to me, but I'm not against it because it does kinda fit.

And Storyboardist, that artwork is great and I actually kind of like the idea of using the Ukrainian word for freedom. I get the potential pitfall, but I also wonder if we could address it right off the bat and talk about using the Ukrainian word because, in contrast to how it gets used these days the Ukrainian people of literally fighting for their sovereignty. At any rate if we use a design like that it would be awesome to get some stickers made or something.

I actually googled "pedals for peace" and it's a cycling group (maybe a couple different ones?). lol

I think if we use the Ukrainian word it differentiates enough. Also the color scheme being blue and gold helps, but not married to it either. Still thinking about other options and spending far too much time on google translate lol

Oh and I'm always for getting stickers made  ;D
Guy behind Effects Layouts

madbean

Here's where I'm starting for my build. This is a protoype I got a few weeks ago which is just the sample and hold side of the Maestro S&H (since I already did just the filter side as a project).

The name I picked for it turns out to be a bit serendipitous! If this prototype works I might be able to build a few for the auction.

Thewintersoldier

Is there a time frame on this? I don't wanna commit to something and not make the deadline. To order everything and have it done to the standard I want and then build it could be weeks before I have everything on my bench. Once it's here it's a couple hours but we all know how shipping is lol.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?