Tube ban

Started by Aentons, March 12, 2022, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martan

Quote from: peccary on March 18, 2022, 09:37:09 AM
Quote from: matmosphere on March 18, 2022, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: EBK on March 18, 2022, 07:42:23 AM
Looks like it's viral marketing, and we all took the bait.  :-[

Ugh, I hope not. I don't really begrudge EHX, but something like that would be lame.

Also I'm trying to actually give a crap about this. I've used the same tube amp as my main amp for twenty years. I replaced the tubes exactly one time, well over a decade ago and it still sounds great.

I've had more than one conversation with techs that don't get why people replace their tubes so much. Their thinking was if the amp is working well then don't mess with it. I tend to agree with that mentality.

It is also a miracle that tubes aren't already way more expensive than they currently are. Think we've all been working on borrowed time with that one. Not to say I want prices to go up, just that I think a price spike was pretty inevitable one way or another.

I haven't used my M/B 400+ much in the past eight or so years, but I played and gigged (locally) it regularly for about a decade and I never re-tubed it. Mainly because it'll cost a billion dollars, but also because it always sounded awesome and I never felt the need. I always did feel like I was playing with fire every time I brought it to a gig since I didn't have a backup, though. Now I'm wishing I'd bought a replacement kit because I don't know what they'll end up costing after the dust settles on this.

I have some amps that tubes last forever in, and some (Marshall Plexi style with EL34's and a Dr Z MAZ38) that burn through power tubes to where there's an audible change to the tone (goes fizzy). Especially in recording you can notice when its time to change. Other than preamp tubes going microphonic and the "fun" of tube rolling to get the amp sounding good I don't change the preamps hardly at all.

davent

Saw today that thetubestore is back on line, looked around but it's been so long since i shopped i have no idea on how much prices have changed of late.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: imjonwain on March 19, 2022, 10:27:37 AM
I'll fill that out as well. 

Maybe I'm a fake hippy but I'd really like to see people as a whole move towards buying less and willing to pay more for higher quality goods made "more locally" that may put less strain on the environment & the "system" in general.  The current race to the bottom price expectations make for a hard market for everyone.

I agree that being able to source things more locally and paying more for something that will last longer is the way to go, but I don't know how likely it is that anyone will start manufacturing tubes in the States again.

alanp

Quote from: matmosphere on March 18, 2022, 09:09:15 AM
Also I'm trying to actually give a crap about this. I've used the same tube amp as my main amp for twenty years. I replaced the tubes exactly one time, well over a decade ago and it still sounds great.

I've had more than one conversation with techs that don't get why people replace their tubes so much. Their thinking was if the amp is working well then don't mess with it. I tend to agree with that mentality.

My understanding is that preamp valves last just about forever, while power valves (EL34, KT88, that sort of thing) do wear out over time if you thrash the pants off them on a regular basis.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

danfrank

Quote from: jimilee on March 18, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
Why even bothering announcing something pretty major, and then recanting it two days later???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what Mike Mathews does... He's a total shyster...
He got a marketing degree from Harvard... Yes, really...

Aentons

alanp

... it's based in Georgia, a former Soviet republic, and somehow it's bringing valve production back to North America?

Yay for new valve factories, especially in countries that are not sanctioned, but I'm confused over this.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

harryklippton

Quote from: alanp on March 26, 2022, 03:47:42 PM
... it's based in Georgia, a former Soviet republic, and somehow it's bringing valve production back to North America?

Yay for new valve factories, especially in countries that are not sanctioned, but I'm confused over this.

Not sure if you're joking cuz I'm not good with sarcasm and less so online but it's the state of Georgia, USA

alanp

Ah, of course... I keep forgetting about the state of Georgia! (My first mental association is the movie "Goldeneye", for some reason, and Eastern Europe.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

harryklippton

It's my least favorite state I've ever been to

culturejam

Quote from: harryklippton on March 26, 2022, 04:31:26 PM

It's either Mississippi or Alabama for me. Georgia at least has Savannah and Tybee Island.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Aentons

Quote from: culturejam on March 26, 2022, 05:00:14 PM

It's either Mississippi or Alabama for me. Georgia at least has Savannah and Tybee Island.

I have to agree... I live in Alabama and it is the absolute worst... right after Mississippi :)

peccary

I went for a work conference once.. While it wasn't my favorite place I've traveled, I've gotta say I really loved the aquarium and the food in Atlanta. I think I gained 10 pounds over three days just in fried chicken alone.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: danfrank on March 25, 2022, 05:42:12 PM
Why even bothering announcing something pretty major, and then recanting it two days later???

Especially since he's aligned with new sensor, I feel like it was a way to raise prices by scaring everyone with impending doom over scarcity. Pretty good plan. Ironically I got a matched set of ehx 6l6gc for 59 dollars from doug's tubes if anyone is looking to not get ripped off. Those are solid tubes. Also the JJs when eurotubes reopens wont see a price hike, at least thats what they said.
Who the hell is Bucky?

pickdropper

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 28, 2022, 10:03:02 AM
Quote from: danfrank on March 25, 2022, 05:42:12 PM

Especially since he's aligned with new sensor, I feel like it was a way to raise prices by scaring everyone with impending doom over scarcity. Pretty good plan. Ironically I got a matched set of ehx 6l6gc for 59 dollars from doug's tubes if anyone is looking to not get ripped off. Those are solid tubes. Also the JJs when eurotubes reopens wont see a price hike, at least thats what they said.

It's more than alignment with New Sensor.  EHX owns New Sensor.

It seems the export ban was real.  Many items were banned and tubes were just one of the things on the list.  How much of the new EHX pricing is necessary, I have no idea.

Tubes haven't really gone up in price for years.  It's somewhat amazing how resistant to inflation they've become.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the prices come down a bit when supply normalizes, but it wouldn't be surprising if they never quite get back to where they were before, particularly if demand stays high.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper