News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

String Theory

Started by Leevibe, March 13, 2022, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

This is an idea I've had for a while and finally got around to making it happen. The circuit is just a little overdrive I do. I've used it in a lot of these art builds. The fretboard is just a graphic of some rosewood I found and I added some dot inlays and took measurements off of a guitar neck to get the right fret spacing. I printed in some drop shadows under the frets to add a sense of depth. The frets are some chrome sticker material I cut on my cricut. The strings are STRINGS! It's a real set of 9s under the resin.

This pedal goes to a really close friend who will find it on his desk tomorrow morning as a surprise. He will put it to good use and make lots of good sounds with it.

Thanks for giving' 'er a look

peccary

Wow! That is really something else. I was looking at the image going "How's he get it so 3D looking?" And then I read your description - that's awesome.

So you like the cricut? I was thinking of getting one to make die cut stickers I could use as painting masks. Would you suggest it for something like that?

Leevibe

Quote from: peccary on March 13, 2022, 12:59:23 AM
Wow! That is really something else. I was looking at the image going "How's he get it so 3D looking?" And then I read your description - that's awesome.

So you like the cricut? I was thinking of getting one to make die cut stickers I could use as painting masks. Would you suggest it for something like that?

I think that's a great use for it. I have wondered if it would be a good acid resist for enclosure etching too.

Bio77

That's awesome!  How'd you get the strings to stay in place when you poured the resin?

I bought a Cricut for my wife a while ago, pretty cool all the stuff she does with it.  She's done masks for etching glass and metal, so, enclosures should be no problem  8)

Leevibe

Quote from: Bio77 on March 13, 2022, 02:12:08 AM
That's awesome!  How'd you get the strings to stay in place when you poured the resin?

I bought a Cricut for my wife a while ago, pretty cool all the stuff she does with it.  She's done masks for etching glass and metal, so, enclosures should be no problem  8)

Oh yeah. I forgot to talk about that part. So I would tack one end with a dab of UV cure resin, stretch the string straight and tack the other end. The UV stuff just pretty much disappears under the envirotex.

jimilee

Soo much creativity, I'm jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Swish to the max, how cool! 8) Very clever and faultlessly executed!
BigNoise Amplification

matmosphere

So freaking cool!! Is that a 1590b? It looks cavernous in there.

mjg

What a cool, clever idea.  And well executed.  You win the internet today. 

matmosphere

Quote from: mjg on March 13, 2022, 07:36:44 AM
What a cool, clever idea.  And well executed.  You win the internet today.

I think leevibe might have already been the standing champion since that BOTY winner a few years back.

midwayfair

This is amazing. What a weird idea to even come up with in the first place, never mind seeing it through to completion!

Leevibe

Quote from: matmosphere on March 13, 2022, 06:52:44 AM
So freaking cool!! Is that a 1590b? It looks cavernous in there.

125b was the right size canvas for this one. You're right. An embarrassing amount of space in there. I should probably have put a couple discreet opamps in there to make it legit.

Quote from: midwayfair on March 13, 2022, 02:34:31 PM
This is amazing. What a weird idea to even come up with in the first place, never mind seeing it through to completion!

I'm pretty good with weird ideas. Initially I wanted to use real wood veneer and inlays. That could be cool but possibly even weirder.

pickdropper

Wow Lee, I love this.  What a great idea and execution.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

really cool idea and perfectly executed
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Aleph Null

Bravo! That's some serious dedication to the craft.