News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Blueshift (Dimension-C)

Started by HousTom, March 13, 2022, 10:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HousTom

I feel like I've weathered a DIY pedal-building rite of passage. The Blueshift is done and it works.

Took about 10 hours not counting the parts sourcing which was a couple of hours just for that. This thing has 100 resistors, 65 capacitors of 5 DIFFERENT TYPES, a dozen xistors, a dozen ICs and is built on TWO packed PCBs which are then physically married to each other via headers all fitting into a 125B with paper-thin tolerance. I feel like PATIENCE was the ultimate reason for my success. I literally triple-tested every component I could before soldering knowing that the likelihood of me resurrecting a DOA on this build is near zero. A few challenges were the physical size of my Tayda 1u box caps (too "fat" for the PCB but managed to squeeze in) and a horrible roaring buzzz when I finally powered it up that thankfully turned out to just be the compander ICs installed backwards in their sockets (oops). Waiting on my Alibaba $25 DSO to fine-calibrate but really happy to have a new and unique modulation flavor and just to have this under my belt.

Invertiguy

Nice work! Yeah, that build is a bit of a tricky one that really rewards attention to detail. I too found out the hard way about the 1u film caps, in the future I'd highly recommend checking out Aion's parts spreadsheets before ordering parts for his more complex builds to save yourself some frustration. Still, it's an incredible pedal that is well worth whatever headaches you may encounter while building it and I'm glad you got it together!
Doomsday Devices

EBK

Definitely a rite of passage build.  I cheer every time I see a new one built.  Nice!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Daaaamn, that's a fine build sir. I use mlcc 1uf caps. I don't care for the size of the box ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Congrats! You more than succeeded on that one. The graphic is a really cool take!

Aleph Null

The Blueshift makes 1590A builds look easy. Congratulations!

BryGuy

Congratulations and nice build. Been getting into more modulation lately. Might have to give this one a go sometime.

Philthy

Trigger post. I just curled up in a ball on he floor and sucked my thumb for a few hours thinking about all my lost hours looking for a broken trace in my Blueshift. ;)

Worth it though - great pedal. ;D

Well done. Love the enclosure.

Caedarn

LaceSensor

well done

minor bitch point - Aion provided (or at least used to) a BOM that could be uploaded to I think it was mouser to provide all the correct spaced parts. might save someone some time in the future if such a tool still exists.

destro

HousTom

$11 signal generator and $25 oscilloscope work great. :-)

Phil Hodson

Love your build! I have just finished my enclosure for the same pedal. Board is 75% populated. So I'm getting close. Just got to put the final bits in before I test it.
Where did you get the generator and scope from? They look ideal for this kid of stuff. With our taking up too much space or breaking the bank!
Thanks in advance

Phil

HousTom

Google "DSO138" to find the O-scope. Google "XR2206" to find the signal generator.

Phil Hodson