News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MadBean Wavelord (extra-wide)

Started by dawson, March 25, 2022, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

I'm super excited to finally present my newly completed MadBean Wavelord tremolo:

I say "finally" because I really wanted to finish this build to enter into last year's BOTY contest..months ago..but I'm glad I didn't rush it.
This is one of my favorite DIY circuits and this build deserves all the extra attention I gave it because I know it's going to be in my board indefinitely.

The graphic is a layout of the different wave-forms that I basically traced from the build doc's then embellished to fit my design.  It's etched into a 1590BB bottom-plate with ferric chloride.
Did I add the external LFO jack?  Of course I did.  This is my second Wavelord, so I know it plays great with at-least the Parasit Studio 0415 Guitar Synthesizer *I haven't tried anything else.

Where I strayed from stock:
- I did some extra off-board wiring to enlarge the format from 125B to 1590BB.  I like my pedals to sit right next to each-other, so with that as a rule, the only way to get extra toe room is to enlarge the enclosure.
- I used a version 3 VFE switching board to add optional momentary switching.  It's mounted underneath the main PCB with a 3d-printed bracket, which was a tight fit, but the version 3 boards are great to work with.
- Just for fun I added a toggle switch to change the way the LED's work: In the 1st position, a large Red LED acts as a status indicator, while 2 small Teal LED's flash the rate underneath it, always on.
  This is neat, but if I get tired of constant blinking, I can toggle to the 2nd position, where all 3 LED's work as non-blinking status indicators.

^I guess I didn't get a good picture of the final bracket before I put everything together, but here are a couple pictures of a prototype.
The final build had an extra couple fingers on it to hold this strip-board that trims my excessive LED arrangement, pictured here:

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32053.0
I'll add some photos with the Wavelord in rack-context very soon- I finished it this afternoon and have only had time to test it outside of a box so far.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

harryklippton

Thewintersoldier

Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Oh man.  Superb little daughterboard holder to boot.  I really gotta get into 3D printing...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dawson

^^Thanks guys!

Quote from: gordo on March 25, 2022, 07:01:55 PM
Oh man.  Superb little daughterboard holder to boot.  I really gotta get into 3D printing...

Yeah!
"the sooner you start" etc..

You do NOT need an expensive machine to make functional parts.  My parts don't come out the greatest- I've been using the same desktop machine since 2015.  It's a dinosaur for 3d-printers, and it bears all of the scars from the mistakes I make while learning, but they work fine for what I want.

harryklippton

I got a head full of ideas of stuff I'd like to 3d print one day. What software are you using to design stuff like that clip?

benny_profane

That looks incredible! Really dig the direction you took with the artwork here (and the 125B build). The mods turned out great! I think widening the switches is a good call—I've been considering the same on a second build since it can get a bit cramped.

dawson

Quote from: harryklippton on March 25, 2022, 08:02:47 PM
I got a head full of ideas of stuff I'd like to 3d print one day. What software are you using to design stuff like that clip?

I use Fusion 360- it's free!
Get a dependable pair of calipers and you'll be on your way.

Quote from: benny_profane on March 25, 2022, 08:08:11 PM
That looks incredible! Really dig the direction you took with the artwork here (and the 125B build). The mods turned out great! I think widening the switches is a good call—I've been considering the same on a second build since it can get a bit cramped.

After aaall the finesse Brian put into working everything into a 125B!

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

thomasha

Nice, I also like my builds in layers.
The 3D printed part is a nice touch
Using the lid also helps to get a better view, have to try that one at least once.

Bio77

peccary

I always love your builds, thanks for sharing.

dawson

^Thanks a lot for looking, everyone-
I really appreciate the kind words, they really mean a lot coming from builders who I look up to so much!

matmosphere

Your whole system is just super cool, and I love the graphics style you are doing on all of these. The Waveform thing is great on the artwork. I typically don't like two switches on a 125b either, but I have monstrously wide feet (or at least it has been put that way by my kids).

Quote from: dawson on March 25, 2022, 07:53:23 PM
You do NOT need an expensive machine to make functional parts.  My parts don't come out the greatest- I've been using the same desktop machine since 2015.  It's a dinosaur for 3d-printers, and it bears all of the scars from the mistakes I make while learning, but they work fine for what I want.

I totally second that, I have an Ender 3 which I've recently seen going for as little as $100 on sale. It's nothing fancy but it can do a lot and do it well.

Quote from: dawson on March 25, 2022, 08:28:04 PM

I use Fusion 360- it's free!
Get a dependable pair of calipers and you'll be on your way.

I have been just doing everything in tinkercad online. I keep forgetting fusion 360 is free to hobbyist. Is it noticeably better than tinkercad?

culturejam

Great build! And very crafty with the piggy-back holder.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects