News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

9mm pot woes

Started by Invertiguy, April 02, 2022, 06:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invertiguy

Does anyone else have problems with the threads stripping on 9mm pots, or is it just me? I'm in the middle of putting together my second 1590A project and right as I was reassembling the pedal after having to disassemble it due to a wiring fault (don't use non-prebond wire in tight spaces, those little strands love to pop out and cause shorts) I was stopped in my tracks by a nut on a pot shaft that wouldn't engage the threads no matter what. This is the second time this has happened to me with a 9mm pot, is Alpha's QC just not as good on the 9mm or am I just a special kind of unlucky? Maybe this is a sign I should just stick to 1590Bs and bigger enclosures...
Doomsday Devices

pickdropper

Hmmm, I'm not sure I've ever experienced that before (and I use a LOT of 9mm pots).

Is it possible the shorter thread length on the pot shaft is somewhat messing you up?  If you're careful to make sure it's not cross-threaded when you start putting on the nut, you should be OK.  If you're having a hard time engaging the threads, try a nut from a different pot.  I have had poorly threaded nuts from Alpha, although I've seen more on 16mm than 9mm. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

9mm pots already protrude a minimal amount, any sort of coating on the outside of the enclosure reduces that. Also, did you remove the tab on the front of the pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

Quote from: jimilee on April 02, 2022, 01:33:31 PM
9mm pots already protrude a minimal amount, any sort of coating on the outside of the enclosure reduces that. Also, did you remove the tab on the front of the pot?

Yeah, even a sticker and clearcoat can be too much.

Aentons

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 02, 2022, 06:34:39 AM
Does anyone else have problems with the threads stripping on 9mm pots, or is it just me? I'm in the middle of putting together my second 1590A project and right as I was reassembling the pedal after having to disassemble it due to a wiring fault (don't use non-prebond wire in tight spaces, those little strands love to pop out and cause shorts) I was stopped in my tracks by a nut on a pot shaft that wouldn't engage the threads no matter what. This is the second time this has happened to me with a 9mm pot, is Alpha's QC just not as good on the 9mm or am I just a special kind of unlucky? Maybe this is a sign I should just stick to 1590Bs and bigger enclosures...
Did it fit ok, when you had it on the first time?

Invertiguy

Quote from: pickdropper on April 02, 2022, 12:42:31 PM
If you're having a hard time engaging the threads, try a nut from a different pot.  I have had poorly threaded nuts from Alpha, although I've seen more on 16mm than 9mm.

^Bingo. I had a closer look at it a few hours after I posted this and while the threads on the pot aren't perfect, they're not terrible either. The nut, on the other hand, was almost completely smooth inside. I ended up stealing a nut off of a nonfuntional Metal Zone I got for free from a buddy who was cleaning out his garage and it snugged right up. Guess that'll be the first thing I'll check if I have this issue in the future! Might go ahead and buy a bunch of extra nuts next time I'm at the hardware store just to be safe.
Doomsday Devices

jimilee

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 03, 2022, 08:09:25 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 02, 2022, 12:42:31 PM
If you're having a hard time engaging the threads, try a nut from a different pot.  I have had poorly threaded nuts from Alpha, although I've seen more on 16mm than 9mm.

^Bingo. I had a closer look at it a few hours after I posted this and while the threads on the pot aren't perfect, they're not terrible either. The nut, on the other hand, was almost completely smooth inside. I ended up stealing a nut off of a nonfuntional Metal Zone I got for free from a buddy who was cleaning out his garage and it snugged right up. Guess that'll be the first thing I'll check if I have this issue in the future! Might go ahead and buy a bunch of extra nuts next time I'm at the hardware store just to be safe.
If you continue to build, you'll have them everywhere. I don't know where they all come from.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I don't really think it's a "thing" but I've had this happen on 16mm pots as well.  The stamped nut never gets threads cut and slips thru quality control.  On the plus side (and especially with Alpha) it's EXTREMELY rare so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Like Jimi says you seem to amass these things over time, although in my case I always seem to be missing whatever oddball size I need at the time...unless I don't need it and I'll likely have 10 of them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?