News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

kemet capacitor kit & fixing enclosures

Started by 9Lives, December 21, 2011, 08:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

So I just ordered newark.com's kemet capacitor kit for 50 bucks. I'm pretty sure there the box style (i hope atleast) anyone ever ordered this kit before? Seems pretty common. Also is there a good way to fix "miss-drilled" holes in enclosures. The ventalation story isn't working. (joke)

jimmybjj

No clue on the caps. I have repurposed enclosures with the epoxy (envirotex) that everyone is using for clear finishes. I suppose jb weld would serve the same purpose. I have also used etch pcb boards as cover plates. Check out my build report with "splutter" the enclosure had a couple of ventilation holes :)
Pcbs no longer available

glowsheep

I would think a metal based auto body filler would work well

sam_c

do you need to fill the holes and finish over them or do you need to redrill in almost the same location to correct a mistake?

9Lives

naw, I attempted to put the dc jack on the top of the pedal (powder coat white small box) and once I put the board in it didn't fit, so I had to put it under the output jack. Left a big ugly hole. The pedals for me, doesn't have to be perfect although I like making things right.

jkokura

If the enclosure is already painted, then there isn't really a good solution without ruining the paint job. In that case, I would usually start over with a new enclosure and then find another purpose for that enclosure. That's just me though.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Ang3lus

if painted but not drilled, can you add a decal to it and then clear finish it ?

slimtriggers

I would put something over the top of the pedal.  Like a piece of etched copper clad, or a piece of tread plate or some pick guard material.  Or even a piece of plexi.   Or put a big LED in there  :D

Now I've got "Fixing a Hole" by the Beatles stuck in my head.

9Lives

ok, those are some good ideas.  As for the kemet kit.. I'm a lil dissapointed. It's not the same box caps I see every one else use.. They are a lil bigger.  Some of the very big. Where does everyone get there's?

jimmybjj

Thats to bad, i think a lot (including myself) buy caps at small bear.
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

I get caps from lots of places. Tayda has some box caps now, cheap.  I get them from smallbear too.  Mammoth is easy to order from but their caps are expensive.  My favorite is mouser but that place might give you a headache.  It's easy to order the wrong size from mouser because their selection is so huge.  For you I'd probably recommend smallbear or mammoth until you get more familiar with everything.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

9Lives

I can't find box caps at smallbear. Did I miss somthing?

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

TNblueshawk

I'd either put a 10mm LED in there or just rock that glory hole! Radio Shack has those jumbo white, red and blue LED's.
John