News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PFUKR build: CD2022

Started by madbean, April 08, 2022, 01:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Finally getting my act together for my Pedals for Ukraine build. I decided to go with the Cave Dweller 2022. First etched PCB in quite a long time for me. Faceplate artwork also etched and ready for the next step. Doesn't look like much now but it will transform over the next couple of days.

Thewintersoldier

Damn that looks good Brian. Your etching always amazes me. I have never had an etch come out anywhere close to that. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Wow!  That's awesome!  8) 

benny_profane

That looks amazing! Great job with the etches. Looking forward to seeing this all together!

peccary

harryklippton

EBK

I have to admit I didn't read PFUKR as Pedals for Ukraine until maybe the sixth or seventh time I looked at it.   ;D
I kept thinking of that Caroline Guitar fundraiser pedal's name.  Was this sly cleverness intentional?

Can't wait to see this build transform!  Already looks great!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Dude, Brian, That is classy as hell!!

madbean

Well disaster struck. I'm really out of practice with single sided boards and I ended up lifting some pads when I was attaching the pots. It could be salvaged but that's really not good enough. So, I have to start over on the PCB. Not a big deal since it will only cost me an extra hour or so. I won't mention the cussing tirade that came from it.

storyboardist

Hopefully the 2nd etch turns out as nice as the first. It's looking great, Brian!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

madbean

Decided to slow down this time an focus on better technique rather than rushing to get done. This time I used a much higher resolution for the PNP transfer and spent a lot of time soldering correctly, rather than fast. It's a lot easier to get away with blitzing through dual layer boards with through hole plating. I've been rather dedicated to the laziness it affords :)

fig

I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

zombie_rock123

Second etch turned out great! I kinda miss etching pcbs but absolutely not drilling the frigging things.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

madbean

Circuit built. I did one tweak: for LPF2 I lowered the resistor from 33k to 27k and the cap in parallel from 4n7 to 2n7. It reduced the output and brightened it up slightly. Overall, it sounds really good! Definitely more lo-fi than other PT2399 designs but that's been the hallmark of all the Cave delays. Most importantly, no puttering at the max delay time. I also wrapped all the wiring to the pot lugs. This makes the connections practically unbreakable.

Also, here's my ultra sophisticated technique of how to line up the drilling b/w faceplate and enclosure. Tape and guide holes. I never get things perfectly centered but it's close enough.

jjjimi84

Hats off to you! Such a cool pedal, glad you got it working.