News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Build log Harbinger 2 build, pic heavy

Started by cooder, April 12, 2022, 10:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

I got a lot going on at the moment that keeps my brain buzzing all the time, good stuff, no complaints.
However, I need some distraction as well, so what's better than grabbing a project off the 'should really get onto this' pile and distract myself a bit.
So I start this build log, Harbinger 2, had the board for awhile for sure, let's get into it. Not sure how long it'll take me as I find the time to dive into it, but here we go.
Yes, a warning, it'll be picture heavy. Hope you guys find it interesting.

I had a wah shell I scored second hand, I think this might be what Smallbear used to sell as kit or on Aliexpress or so. They are not as heavy duty as Crybaby shells and the hardward needs some work, buut it will be fine me thinks.

Sanding it, so far 240 grit, will go finer and steelwool, aiming for a brushed alu look in the end I think. No spray paint and damage should be reasonably easy to touch up that way later if needed.

Will do relay soft touch bypass switching, so here goes the cutout and small momentary switch for that:

I have done this before with four other wah shell and the switching works just great, so much better than the clunky mechanical switches. Never had problems so far with the ones I did this way, fingers crossed.

Making a acrylic status LED holder to sit in front of treadle, this will also protect the momentary switch from anything hitting it unintentionally.

Buffs up nicely.

Fixing it in place with two 3mm screws.

Cutting the thread into acrylic:

Here's the populated board which has been waiting for action for awhile now and the extra three position switch to change the phase shifting cap values.

BigNoise Amplification

harryklippton

Can't wait to see this all wrapped up. I'm especially intrigued by your work on the acrylic piece

gordo

Wow!!!  You had me at small momentary switch...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

This is amazing Stephan, excuse me while I unplug my iron and walk it to the curb..I can't wait to see this, that relay is amazing 😍
Who the hell is Bucky?

matmosphere

Quote from: gordo on April 12, 2022, 12:58:28 PM
Wow!!!  You had me at small momentary switch...

Haha, me too

This thing looks amazing! That little switch is genius

cooder

Cheers, Gents.
A wee bit more progress, trial fitting the pots and switches.

Making a light plate for bottom, again from my acrylic stash/pile that I scored at an auction for 5 bucks.

Two 4k7 resistors on each LED for now, we'll see how that goes. I might give it a try to connect it to LFO leaving R47 off the bvoard and connecting these into that spot with wires, see how that goes. Might have to tweak resistor values as I test it, I guess. If the LFO thing ain't doing it I might just wire it to 9V input for permanent glow in the dark.

BigNoise Amplification

blackhatboojum

This is friggin rad!  I can't wait to see the finished product 😁
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

gordo

Honestly, this is why I hang around places like this.  Just to absorb inspiration and live vicariously thru folks like Cooder.

This is utter insanity, on the top shelf level.  I'll save the standing ovation till you're finished.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Cheers for the encouragement guys.
Meantime a dash of black paint makes the toanz so much darker and fuller or so they say  ::)
Most of I know it triggers Chris ;)

BigNoise Amplification

cooder

Let's stick the first things in.

Phase shifting selector pcb and main board wired up.

BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

And here is Cooder taking us all to school! Look at this build log so far! Incredible work.

Paradox916

This is amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooder

Another day another switch in, or two. Pots wired up too.
I also decided to try some of the mods that Kastle (aka Brane) posted here yonks ago, I haven't seen him around for a long time, so if you read this, big shout out.
Mods are namely:

• Modded vintage input for megavibe type (omit R2 and change R1 for 100K)
    Changed speed pot range so I can get faster speeds and slower too (Change R52 to 470R and jumper R54)
    putting rate LED into acrylic bottom plate, connect in place of R 43

BigNoise Amplification

zombie_rock123

Not sure how long it will take -> goes balls to the wall and rifles most of the way through a flawless build! That wiring man, I was sold on the painted insides but the way this is looking it's a sure-fire bet for July on the (un)official Madbean 2023 Calendar.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Paradox916

That wiring! Ooohhh the wiring!.... You sir are a golden god  and given new heights to aspire to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk