News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Midnight Oil concert tonight

Started by mjg, April 19, 2022, 03:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Spending this evening at a Midnight Oil concert.  It's open air, and tonight we're getting about a month worth of rain dumped on us.  The lightning started up during the support band, so they have just sent us all back to our cars for safety and delayed the main band for half an hour, hoping the weather clears.  Very rock and roll.

Here's hoping I get to see the Oils tonight...  :D

Bret608

Let us know how it went! My wife, daughters and I often listen to Midnight Oil in the car, particularly on road trips. I feel like I understood their music better after an amazing road trip we did through Queensland in 2018. We drove from Brisbane all the way to Cape Tribulation, seeing amazing scenery but also sugar refineries and such, similar to what I remember from growing up in Louisiana.

jimilee

They're still together? I hope you got to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

davent

First saw them in the early 80's,  small club in Toronto, arms length away from the stage at the El Macombo, 10, 9, 8... tour. Quite a few times after that in from larger clubs to headlining stadiums shows, never disappointed.

Hope the show came off, last chance tour...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mjg

Well, that was an experience I guess?

2.5 hours sitting in bucketing rain and lightening, then they sent us back to our cars for half an hour with promises the band would start at 9, then they pulled the plug at 9 and sent us all home with promises of a refund. 

Admittedly, probably a fair call, but they should have done it an hour earlier. 

We learned a few things. 
- that old tarp in the garage that you took for shelter? Yeah, it's not waterproof. 
- the camping chairs you took to sit on?  Yep, they are waterproof.  After half an hour we each had our own personal swimming pool to sit in.  Scrotal baths are nice and all, but there is a time and a place.
- my kid learned that skinny denim jeans shrink when wet.  His voice had risen about an octave by the end of the night.

From reading their website, they've postponed 2 shows due to weather, 4 due to band members having covid, and they've postponed the entire New Zealand leg.  Not going well for a final tour!

alanp

I guess you could say that trying to burn the Midnight Oil didn't go so well... maybe Midday Oil would have gone better? ;) ;)

But yeah, they were a great 80s band.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Well, you o ie, oil and water don't mix.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

They played at the botanical gardens locally, about 5k away and across the river from my house.  Could hear them pretty easily...