Surprising builds

Started by insomniac2295, December 21, 2011, 06:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insomniac2295

Ever build something and you're like,

"Holy crap, I can't believe this thing actually works!"

Happens to me all the time.

dwstanford

Yeah, the dirtbag delay.  I'm generally a fuzz pedal guy, so i'm used to working with ten or twenty components.  The dirtbag has like a hundred.  I couldn't friggin' believe it worked at all when i finished it, much less the fact that it worked correctly.  I was suspecting i would have to do some troubleshooting and was prepared to do so. 

slimtriggers

Quote from: insomniac2295 on December 21, 2011, 06:04:28 PM
Ever build something and you're like,

"Holy crap, I can't believe this thing actually works!"

Happens to me all the time.

Every time I etch something myself :)

insomniac2295

I just re-re-housed a double flush and switched from board mount to solder terminal pots. i also took off like 4 or 5 solder pads in the process because i'm using crappy radioshack desoldering braid. I seriously don't know how this thing is still alive..

stecykmi

definitely my JCM800 clone I built. It was my first amp build and I did it from scratch (ie no kit). It only needed two simple corrections after the first non-test fire-up. It basically worked the first time.

here's a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW2ffA6Pi3Q

LaceSensor

Everything I make. Been doing this since January with no prior skills so literally each time it's such a buzz.

sam_c

Ive been learning to build guitars in my spare time for a couple of years now and managed to finish my first 'from scratch build' last year for a friend.

to plug it in for the first time and crank it felt good.

cjkbug

Quote from: insomniac2295 on December 21, 2011, 06:18:39 PM
I just re-re-housed a double flush and switched from board mount to solder terminal pots. i also took off like 4 or 5 solder pads in the process because i'm using crappy radioshack desoldering braid. I seriously don't know how this thing is still alive..
I love radio shack braid
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

insomniac2295

Quote from: cjkbug on December 22, 2011, 07:16:50 AM
I love radio shack braid
i can't tell if this was sarcasm or not

gtr2

Quote from: insomniac2295 on December 22, 2011, 09:51:28 AM
I love radio shack braid

I use it too.  It is actually good stuff but you need to add a little flux to help wick up the solder.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

CRBMoA

Rat Shack braid is GREAT! But, I use a solder sucker first to get most of the solder removed, and THEN use the braid.

Using the braid alone means too much time & heat on the board, causing lifted traces. I have never lifted a Madbean trace that I have not abused first.

Admittedly, I have beat the holy hell out of a few boards in my day.

That's how I learned!

insomniac2295

I've found the 3S-Wick from SmallBear to be many times better than the RadioShack braid. Maybe that's just me...

cjkbug

Quote from: insomniac2295 on December 22, 2011, 09:51:28 AM
I love radio shack braid
no sarcasm...I swear bu the stuff. it"s never let me down
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

LaceSensor

I built the Current Lover today and it fired up first time, sounding cosmic.
Was kinda suprised with that was expecting to mess something up.
Gonna be posting a build report sometime when I can get it finished.
The enclosure is interesting...

sgmezei

The sea urchin was wicked because it worked first time. I struggled with a PT80 delay kit from GGG forever and never got it working. I also have two Aquaboy and two Dirtbag deluxe boards that are not up and running yet. So the delay first try felt great.

The next would be my Dumble clone. Turned out phenomenal. Was my fourth amp build and it fired up first try and sounds amazing. Still cant believe I built it.