News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Deluxe

Started by JakeFuzz, December 21, 2011, 08:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Whew, after much stress Keefe saved my Dirtbag with a CD4047 just in time. Just so you guys dont make the same dumb mistake I have taken a nice big picture of the inside and how the regulator heatsink is attached to the enclosure.  ;)

This build uses MN3005's from the ebay seller Magazine Vault. They appear to be legit but I think I still have some tweaking to do. Repeats are perfectly warm, but I am getting a max of about 480ms, which is fine for me but it would be nice to wring a little extra out. Other than that it sounds absolutely unbelievable, I just did a rough bias without an audio probe. Depending on where the feedback knob is you can just go into these ambient dreamland jams that sound so amazing. I did a rough comparison with the carbon copy; the Dirtbag is not as dark sounding as the CC and has much less grain to the repeats. The repeats are also punchier sounding. The max delay on my Dbag is about 75% the max on the CC.

I did an etched faceplate mounted on a Hammond factory finished enclosure. The faceplate looks good, the imperfections in the lines make it look even cooler. It warped pretty bad when I quenched it from the iron so it is lifting by the slightest hair on one corner. Used a variable voltage regulator (LM317) tuned to 15 volts on Vero. Mini chicken heads from Small Bear are probably my new favorite.

Thanks so much to Keefe for getting a CD4047 on super short notice.

Demos in the new year when I get my microphone back from a friend.

With the rest of the setup

k.rock!

Congrats on this build man! looks absolutely beautiful...and your setup looks really cool! Looking forward to your new demos man :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

JakeFuzz

Quote from: k.rock! on December 21, 2011, 08:31:37 PM
Congrats on this build man! looks absolutely beautiful...and your setup looks really cool! Looking forward to your new demos man :)

-Kaleb

Thanks Kaleb! I dig the etched faceplate look. I am definitely going to be experimenting with that look in the future.

k.rock!

Quote from: JakeFuzz on December 21, 2011, 08:36:38 PM
Quote from: k.rock! on December 21, 2011, 08:31:37 PM

-Kaleb

Thanks Kaleb! I dig the etched faceplate look. I am definitely going to be experimenting with that look in the future.

Yeah man...I need to learn how to do that, cause it looks LEGIT...how the heck do u do that anyway? lol

-Kaleb

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

nzCdog

Wow nice job.  The dirtbag is such an epic build... no room to spare in there!
Very cool looking pedal :)

JakeFuzz

I took Brian's drilling guide and imported into photoshop at the same resolution. I marked the hole centers then upped the resolution to 600dpi, keeping only the centers. Then I cropped to the size of the top of the box and do an outline. From there I just started adding things I though would look cool. I really wanted it to kind of look like the original with that off center quadrilateral thing going on. It also helps to know the diameter of knobs so you can use the circle tool make an outline, helps for when you are making the labels.

Then I get rid of everything that isn't going to be printed on. Then I add drilling hole centers, like solder pads where the center of the holes will be. And that's pretty much it. I ironed it on and etched it.

v00d00blues79

Sweet looking build!  I hope mine turns out as nice.

Andy

Haberdasher

Man that is awesome and I know you must be relieved you didn't cook your 3005s.

I can't believe the 4047 got out there so fast considering this is probably the busiest week of the year for shipping.

Anyway I think it came out great so congrats.  Have fun tweaking dude.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

LaceSensor

Just beautiful. Enjoy it.

mjcyates

Looks great. Love the etched faceplate.

gtr2

Love the look!  Excellent work.  It's a tight build for sure.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

Thanks guys. I am super happy with it. Cant wait to play with it more tonight.  ;D

dwstanford

Looks really good.  Can't wait to hear a demo.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: dwstanford on December 22, 2011, 07:41:01 AM
Looks really good.  Can't wait to hear a demo.

Actually I can have a video demo of this next week. I am going to my parents house for Christmas and can use that awesome camera that I used for the other demos. Ill even do a side by side with the Carbon Copy!

dwstanford

That will be cool.  I'll try to work up a demo of mine also.