News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover

Started by blackhatboojum, May 03, 2022, 04:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhatboojum

Much like the Man O' War I recently built, the Current Lover was one of those "I'm gonna build that some day" builds for me.  I'm happy to report that I pulled it off without issue.  I'm even happier to report that, I'm currently in love with the Current Lover!  It's sweet, it's rich, it's lush, and what's most shocking... it's quiet.  Seriously, I can't believe how relatively low the noise floor is on this thing.  Analog flangers are just inherently noisy.  They all introduce some hiss and white noise.  Especially in front of distortion. Now,  Don't get me wrong, it still has some sweeping white noise but, compared to all the other flangers I have and owned... this one is quiet.  This was a surprise bonus to an already great sounding effect.  Like my Man O' War, I'm pretty proud of myself with this build.  Just a year ago, my wiring looked like a bowl of spaghetti and my box caps looked like Harvey Dent's face.  Not so much anymore. 

Included in this post is a brief and not so great demo video.  I have no fancy camera or recording gear so, what you're getting is an iPhone video.  It does capture the essence of my favorite way to run a flanger.  After delay.  There's something about flanging delay repeats that makes me really happy.

Special thanks and shout out to Chris aka @thewintersoldier.  He graciously did some parts trading with me and help make this build possible.

https://vimeo.com/705915164
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Bio77

That's rad!  Great build!  How did you do your enclosure?

Thewintersoldier

That turned out fantastic Clinton! I dig the graphic and the green LED. Inside is super clean as well. Did you try this cap changes, if so what did you think?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

That looks fantastic, I'm really impressed.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blackhatboojum

Quote from: Bio77 on May 03, 2022, 04:22:51 PM
That's rad!  Great build!  How did you do your enclosure?

Huge thanks!

It's just text boxes in microsoft paint along with some stripper silhouette graphic I stumbled across in a google search for "sexy silhouette".  I then printed it onto a waterslide decal and then clear coated the enclosure.  The "electric mistress" style font I stumbled across somewhere on google too.  I forget what it's called.

blackhatboojum

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 03, 2022, 04:35:26 PM
That turned out fantastic Clinton! I dig the graphic and the green LED. Inside is super clean as well. Did you try this cap changes, if so what did you think?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks man! 

Yeah, I fussed around with C7 and C13 but, honestly preferred the stock values. 

blackhatboojum

Quote from: jimilee on May 03, 2022, 04:36:36 PM
That looks fantastic, I'm really impressed.

Awesome!  I appreciate it!

gordo

Great demo!  Flanging as an effect always struck me as "sinister" sounding and that captures it perfectly.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

peccary

Wow, that's great stuff man. Very well done!

blackhatboojum

Quote from: gordo on May 03, 2022, 06:11:02 PM
Great demo!  Flanging as an effect always struck me as "sinister" sounding and that captures it perfectly.

Thanks! My playing style has always been a chugga chugga type of thing so, the flange effect always seemed to work best with that.  If I'm not chugga chugging then it's fat open chords.  Again, best effect to bring out the evil in that sound.

blackhatboojum

Quote from: peccary on May 03, 2022, 06:38:33 PM
Wow, that's great stuff man. Very well done!

Thank you very much!

cooder

Mos excellent build inside out, great stuff! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

Looks and sounds great! I definitely like flange and chorus after delay (and even phase as well). Clear coat over waterslide on a bare enclosure is how I've gotten my best results too, and for EHX circuits it looks the part.  ;)

blackhatboojum

Quote from: cooder on May 03, 2022, 11:06:43 PM
Mos excellent build inside out, great stuff! 8)

Thanks!

blackhatboojum

Quote from: Bret608 on May 04, 2022, 05:25:42 AM
Looks and sounds great! I definitely like flange and chorus after delay (and even phase as well). Clear coat over waterslide on a bare enclosure is how I've gotten my best results too, and for EHX circuits it looks the part.  ;)

Thanks!