News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MBP Bass Compressor Recommendation

Started by benny_profane, May 09, 2022, 07:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

I'm looking to round out a bass pedalboard build. On my guitar board, I use an optical comp; I've had decent results using it with bass. Since there have been a bunch of new comp offerings recently, I'm wondering which would be best suited for bass. I typically play fingerstyle but do use a pick occasionally. I'm more interested in a subtle smoothing rather than dramatic pumping.

matmosphere

I use a Bear Hug most of the time, it's pretty subtle and works well on bass in my experience. But if I were you I might wait until Brian comes out with the new Oracle compressor. I used to use a boss comp on bass and really liked it.

benny_profane

Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not familiar with the CS-3. Is it a Ross derivative? How is the knee characterized?

Thewintersoldier

I'm using the kompromat on everything. I love it. IMO it's the best for every use. The blend makes it as subtle or intense as you want and unlike other ota comps, Brian used the barber tone press circuit so it doesn't pump on high compression rates. Killer comp.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Compressors ate what brought me into the diy world of pedal building. I've found bass compressors to be a "to taste" pedal. I've built literally dozens, here's where I got. Bass optical compressors aren't great for live performances, the sound loses that sparkle, probably from being in the moment and playing a little harder than normal. I've played just about all of the diy compressors and landed on an EHX soul preacher. The bear hug would work about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Great suggestions. Thanks. Interested to check out the Kompromat. I was assuming that FET comps would be the majority suggestion, so it's interesting to see an OTA design working well.

I think the main issue I've run into with compressors and bass is that the amplitude of the low end ends up overtaking the detection and eats up the high end. I know a blend is typically used to address this, but I'm interested in other solutions as well. A HPF sidechain seems interesting. Has anyone successfully implemented one in a comp design?

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on May 13, 2022, 10:55:41 AM
This compressor is quite excellent for bass (I used it when I gigged):
http://www.thatcorp.com/pedals/4316%20Battery-Powered%20One%20Knob%20Squeezer.pdf

This looks interesting. Is there a board available for this project?

EBK

Quote from: benny_profane on May 13, 2022, 11:05:40 AM
This looks interesting. Is there a board available for this project?
Not that I'm aware of.  I built mine on vero. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Nice! What quad op-amps are you using there?

EBK

TL074 for both.  No need for anything fancier.