News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DI Outputs on SludgeHammer

Started by Bio77, May 30, 2022, 07:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I was hoping to hear from some bassists here.  I remember back in the day the sound guy would sometimes plug in a DI box in front of my amp and take a direct signal into the board.  I always thought it would be cool to have the SansAmp and have the DI already there.  My plan was to build the SludgeHammer with an XLR DI.  However, I just checked my amp and I realized that it has an XLR DI with pre/post switch.  Is there any reason to add the DI (TRS or XLR) to the SludgeHammer now?

Willybomb

Only if you don't want to lug the amp around with you....

Aentons

To me, the neatest thing about having an xlr jack on the pedal is that you can use phantom power.

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on May 30, 2022, 07:32:01 PM
I was hoping to hear from some bassists here.  I remember back in the day the sound guy would sometimes plug in a DI box in front of my amp and take a direct signal into the board.  I always thought it would be cool to have the SansAmp and have the DI already there.  My plan was to build the SludgeHammer with an XLR DI.  However, I just checked my amp and I realized that it has an XLR DI with pre/post switch.  Is there any reason to add the DI (TRS or XLR) to the SludgeHammer now?
Because you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on May 31, 2022, 06:24:43 AM
To me, the neatest thing about having an xlr jack on the pedal is that you can use phantom power.
Keep in mind the SludgeHammer doesn't have phantom power.

Bio77

Thanks everyone! 

I converted to an older man's rig several years ago (small, solid state head and Neodymium cab);D  So, it's not a problem to haul it.  I think I'll go with the TRS direct out to have recording options and call it a day.

gordo

I went with the XLR option mostly because I had one kicking around and thought it would be easy to go direct to front of house.  Nice to have options either way and if you have an XLR on the amp even better.

"Older man's"...I like that.  That's why I don't build combo amps anymore...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Quote from: gordo on May 31, 2022, 08:57:38 AM
I went with the XLR option mostly because I had one kicking around and thought it would be easy to go direct to front of house.  Nice to have options either way and if you have an XLR on the amp even better.

"Older man's"...I like that.  That's why I don't build combo amps anymore...
Yeah, I love it.  My bass head fits in a carry bag that's old laptop size and the 4-10 cabinet is light enough to easily flip into the back of my car.  I upgraded after I threw out my back several years ago.  Those young guys can load and lug around an 80 lb tube head with an 8-10 stack, I'm done  ;D