Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PT2399 delay time

Started by LaceSensor, May 19, 2022, 06:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi everyone

Long time no see.
I recently picked up an old SnazzyFX  Wow&Flutter.
Its a broken tape deck simulator which basically has an envelope control over the delay time - its super rad.

The question I have is.... which component(s) around a PT2399 set the max delay time ? Is it as simple as the actual delay potentiometer resistance?
This pedal has a B50k for the delay time control and the max delay feels about 300ms. Figured you could get double that or more out of a PT2399?

Looking at an archetype like the Rebote and Deep blue, they are also B50k.... so its probably something else.

Any comments appreciated (!)

matmosphere

I've never taken a deep dive into it, but I do recall seeing this a while back:

https://www.electrosmash.com/pt2399-analysis

Best of luck!

Govmnt_Lacky

Looking at the datasheet, it lists the resistor in series with the delay pot at Pin 6. Mind you that the datasheet says "External Resistor having a value of 10K to 50K ohms may be used. On the datasheet they list a 20K pot with the "External Resistor" so I do not know if you have to account for the pot's max value along with the external resistor.
Mind you that the higher you go, the higher the THD goes too. 

LaceSensor

matmosphere

Just remembered about the mod taggboard added to the depeofundis

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/grind-customs-fx-deprofundis-delay.html?m=1

Worked pretty well for me

LaceSensor

thanks again. maybe ill try some mods!

culturejam

50K should give a LOT of delay time (like at least 600ms). Are you sure there's not a resistor in parallel with that pot to knock it down a bit?

The other component that sets the time is the resistor on the same pin as the delay pot. Don't go below 2K2 as the PT might "lock up" on startup.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects