News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez BC-9 Bi-Chorus

Started by Bio77, May 22, 2022, 03:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I friend of mine asked me to make an Ibanez BC9 for him.  When I started looking around, I was surprised that there wasn't a whole lot of information and nobody had ever done a DIY version of this circuit.  Luckily, Aentons has the original unit and was super awesome enough to send me a bunch of pictures and answer questions (thanks Aentons!).

The BC9 is a CS9 with an extra LFO.  On my version I added a vibrato (dry-cut) mod.  The controls on the B side are for the standard CS9 LFO and the controls on the A side are for the second, faster LFO. 

I think the layout came out great. I finally have a good system now.  I started with the art file and then took the drill template into KiCad to start the layout.  I also placed the all the jacks and footswitch in KiCad.  So, I didn't end up with any surprises this time.  8)

jimilee

Looks really cool. The video won't play, it comes up as an image when I click the YouTube link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blackhatboojum

Hot damn!  That is awesome!
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

sick John, this is one I'm gonna have to build, would be amazing in a 1590bb with the mode switch as a footswitch.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 22, 2022, 04:20:20 PM
sick John, this is one I'm gonna have to build, would be amazing in a 1590bb with the mode switch as a footswitch.
Hmm, I don't know if the Vibe mod on a foot switch would be that satisfying.  It sounds different, but not drastic enough for a wow moment in a song.  What would be cool is to add a foot switch to add in the A LFO.  This would be easy enough to implement.

gordo

Killer vid.  I like that and have never heard of the original.  I'm amazed by how much gear has come and gone and stayed under the radar.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Really nice sir.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

It turned out great. Happy to help where I could. The vibe mode sounds awsome

zombie_rock123

Amazing looking PCB layout and love the finished piece! Super classy
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

benny_profane

Incredible work in and out, John! That layout is fantastic—great job! I'd definitely like to build one of those. Where did you pick up those knobs? The silver center is a nice touch to the 1900.

Bret608

Super nice! That is nuts that you fit all that in a 125b. I still have to build that CS-9 board you sent me. Just need to get through my daughter's graduation and other end-of-school year activities and I'll have some breathing room to finally dive into it!

Bio77

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: Aentons on May 22, 2022, 08:48:08 PM
It turned out great. Happy to help where I could. The vibe mode sounds awsome
Yeah, that was a great idea, you had there  8)  Thanks again for the pics, super helpful.

Quote from: benny_profane on May 23, 2022, 06:38:57 AM
Incredible work in and out, John! That layout is fantastic—great job! I'd definitely like to build one of those. Where did you pick up those knobs? The silver center is a nice touch to the 1900.
I got the knobs at SB.  I just checked and they are $1 a piece :o I don't remember paying that much, maybe they went up. 

I'm happy to send out boards to anyone that wants one, just PM me with the address.  I just ordered more, so, I can get them out in a few weeks. 

Quote from: Bret608 on May 23, 2022, 08:26:51 AM
Super nice! That is nuts that you fit all that in a 125b. I still have to build that CS-9 board you sent me. Just need to get through my daughter's graduation and other end-of-school year activities and I'll have some breathing room to finally dive into it!
Yes, it was a tight squeeze.   What's really nuts is that the original is all this on a single sided, hand drawn board! 

Invertiguy

Amazing work! That thing looks and sounds incredible, and that layout is something else!
Doomsday Devices

Paradox916

Nice work, I'm a sucker for a good chorus.

nzCdog

Wow.. Sounds great, great prohect! Congrats 🙂