News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Noise Floor (No-knob HM-2)

Started by benny_profane, May 25, 2022, 12:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

While Brian was introducing the Boss Bonanza, I suggested a one-knob HM-2 as a potential giveaway. I thought the knob should be for the LEVEL; Brian said that the HIGH control was vital to dialing in the 'ICE PICK.' We both realized that how cluttered that one-knob interface would be. There was only one option: a no-knob HM-2 with internal trims. Betty Wont provided the name with the following comment:

Quote from: Betty Wont on October 15, 2021, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: jimilee on October 15, 2021, 09:18:35 AM
From what I understand, the HM-2 is the standard by which all other pedals are measured. So anything with the HM-2 circuit would be....wait for it.....boss.....
It is the boss of unacceptable noise floors, for sure.

To accompany this most user-friendly panel arrangement, the board layout is super streamlined: optimized with overlapping resistors and a top half that looks like celebratory confetti—a reaction we've all had when playing or hearing an HM-2.

I haven't boxed this one up yet (partially because the board itself is so amazing), but it is verified. And, maybe surprisingly, the noise floor is not too out of control.

10/10 best board of all time. Thank you, Brian, for this masterpiece.

jimilee

Nice. I was thinking about laying out an HM-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

Ha! That layout is crazy fun.  ;D

Betty Wont

This is fabulous. I'm want!!!!

harryklippton

Bio77

Glorious!

I think you should add one knob that controls the LED brightness and label it Darkness  ;D

mjg

Love it.  What's the comment on the board about "duct tape"? 

To be honest, a whole "No knobs" range of pedals would be awesome.  I'd stop dicking around with the knobs and maybe learn to play guitar. 

Paradox916

I love how this board offends my OCD.... Oh It hurts so good! Thank you sir may I have another!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benny_profane

This was a lot of fun—I really hope this makes it to the shop as a regular project. Happy to see a positive reaction to this!

Quote from: Bio77 on May 25, 2022, 02:10:43 PM
Glorious!

I think you should add one knob that controls the LED brightness and label it Darkness  ;D

That's brilliant. I may have do that when boxing it up!

Quote from: mjg on May 25, 2022, 02:50:16 PM
Love it.  What's the comment on the board about "duct tape"? 

To be honest, a whole "No knobs" range of pedals would be awesome.  I'd stop dicking around with the knobs and maybe learn to play guitar. 

The silk at the top says: "Use 1/8W resistors and monolithic caps only! or duct tape" [Note: I did not follow instructions]
The silk indicates that C12 (1u5) "must be wired off-board" — I sorta did that with a 1u and .47u in parallel.

Absolutely agree with a 'no knobs' range.

Quote from: Paradox916 on May 25, 2022, 03:10:24 PM
I love how this board offends my OCD.... Oh It hurts so good! Thank you sir may I have another!

Isn't that upside-down 4558 just wacky? The haphazard component arrangement really did slow down my assembly time significantly.

mattc

peccary

This is rad, I'm loving the layout. It looks like my daughter's room after we're done playing with Lego   ;D

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Zigcat

I know someone is going all OCD psycho mental on this and it makes me happy.