News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PFUK - Ram's Head Muff

Started by Bio77, May 27, 2022, 11:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

During my PFUK auction two bidders were going at it.  Half way through they both agreed to donate $500 even if they lost.  I thought that was super cool, so, I decided to build this pedal for the loosing bidder as a gift.

It's a Muff and it is big!  I used MBs Ram's Head values with SE4010s.  The Hfe on these were all over 400.  So, this is mean and super loud!  I think unity gain is about 9 o'clock.  ;D  The art says Ram's Head in Ukrainian (Thanks Benny_P for the translation!).  Also the board is a PPCB that I had received as part of a prize from Fig (So, thanks Fig!). I  wanted it to look vintage, so, I polished a bare enclosure without sanding.  I think it came out really cool.

dawson

Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

harryklippton

That looks really great. Is that no film?

Bio77

Thanks fellas!

Quote from: harryklippton on May 28, 2022, 12:04:14 AM
That looks really great. Is that no film?
Yessir.  Actually, looking at the pics I see a dotted line I need to clean up before I send it  ;D

benny_profane

That turned out fantastic! Great job with the design and knob choice. And, as always, the board is immaculate.

Aentons

blackhatboojum

Everything about this is awesome as hell!
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

nzCdog

Love this. Congrats, and props for PFUK  8)

matmosphere

Dude! That is awesome. I was just thinking about this yesterday actually. It's really awesome of you to do that!

Bio77

Bret608

So polishing without sanding is how to get the old school EHX look! Duly noted and I will likely try this on an upcoming Muff build.

It looks like you used a B10k pot for sustain. Is that a mod to make the gain range more useable?

Bio77

Quote from: Bret608 on May 31, 2022, 01:35:10 PM
It looks like you used a B10k pot for sustain. Is that a mod to make the gain range more useable?
Nope, that's just a mistake!  Thanks, Bret!  Good catch.  I'll have a chance to swap it out before this goes in the mail.   

Aleph Null

This looks really good! What did you use to polish the enclosure?

Bio77

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 31, 2022, 05:13:58 PM
This looks really good! What did you use to polish the enclosure?
I use buffing pads that fit in my drill press and a set of rouge buffing compounds.  It's the same set up I use to make super shinny enclosures, but this time I skipped the sanding prep work. 

gordo

Very nice and tasty use of blue caps :-)  What a great story with the two bidders too!  Very generous on both your and their parts.

I hadn't thought of a buff wheel on a drill press, that's a great idea.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?