News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Violet Rams Head Big Muff Pi

Started by Thewintersoldier, June 04, 2022, 11:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Nothing too special here, everyone knows what a big muff is all about. I'm not a big Gilmour fan so I'm not doing that boring stuff. Imagine 1991, the pinnacle of my youth musically. For me a big muff is all about one thing...total destruction. I ended up trying a bunch of transistors before I settled on BC547s. During all my research on transistors it seems like most vintage examples had lower gain trannies and the vast majority of people prefer lower gains over higher for better articulation and less booming low end mudd. I agree. Built with basic run of the mill Rams head values. Graphics are about as traditional as you can get with a violet Hawkeye head. Really happy with this one as all the other Rams heads I've made I didn't bond with. Sound clip shows what I think it does best.

Who the hell is Bucky?

mjg

Nice demo, that really nails the sound.

gordo

None more violet.  I have NEVER been able to get a good sound out of a Muff.  And that's even on peoples rigs where it sounded great till I try it.  I'll keep working at it.  I used to have the same effect on Fuzz Faces.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Spotless and straight in ya face. Cool build.
BigNoise Amplification

blackhatboojum

Sounds absolutely killer and Looks awesome as always!
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Invertiguy

You can't go wrong with the classics, that thing looks and sounds great! Nice work!
Doomsday Devices

jjjimi84

Thewintersoldier

Thanks guys, the green Russian is still my favorite but this particular one is a close second. No more big muffs for me though. I have a green Russian, this and the opamp and that's enough for me. Now back to modulation haha
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I'm glad you posted this because I've been wondering about transistors for a Muff build I'm in the midst of, and had wondered about BC547s. What are the gain ranges like on those?

Looks great as always!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on June 06, 2022, 06:28:30 AM
I'm glad you posted this because I've been wondering about transistors for a Muff build I'm in the midst of, and had wondered about BC547s. What are the gain ranges like on those?

Looks great as always!
Thanks. These are 547b that I got from tayda. All in the low to mid 200s. The the spread on these were between 230 and 260. On Kit Rae's big muff page he interviewed the guy doing all the reissues and they are using 547s in the green Russian and Rams Head reissues.
Who the hell is Bucky?

peccary

This thing sounds as good as it looks.

nzCdog

Outshined! Sounds friggn sweet bro  8)