News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Arghh...earworm.

Started by madbean, June 07, 2022, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'll admit it - I binged S4 of Stranger Things and I've had "Running up That Hill" as an earworm for like ten days now. Make it stop! Once, in my college years, I had John Coltrane's "Favorite Things" as an earworm for almost two months. It's a weird mix of maddening and relaxation at the same time. Must have brain reboot. Considering electrocution with a 9v battery.

Zigcat

Think of the intro bassline from "Come As You Are" on an infinite loop.

BricksnBeatles

the only cure is to listen to more Kate Bush. I'd go with Never For Ever, personally.

Govmnt_Lacky

I have heard (and what works for me) is to think of a very short commercial jingle over and over for a short time. Works every time.

My go to is "Byyyyyyy Menon" from the old deodorant ads.

gordo

I got hung up on the "five dollar foot long" Subway jingle.  It's been gone for years now but it kicks in every now and then.  The worst was noodling around with a lick on guitar the other day and wondering where it was from...only to realize it's the default alarm jingle on my Google Pixel phone. 

I'm hitting the last episode of this first half of the season of ST4 tonight.  The episodes are so damn long that this one is tough to binge.  Which is a good thing.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Tremster

Muadzin

Is Netflix still offering their shows through the binge model? No wonder they're losing subs and money.

pickdropper

Quote from: Muadzin on June 09, 2022, 03:49:39 AM
Is Netflix still offering their shows through the binge model? No wonder they're losing subs and money.

It varies.  Some shows drop all the episodes at the same time for binge watching.  Other shows release an episode at a time.  Lately, the episode at a time model seems to be increasing, although there are still plenty of shows that release for binge.

They do seem to be losing subs lately, for myriad reasons.  The massive amount of competition from Disney and Apple has hurt them a bit, as well as a few other things.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on June 09, 2022, 06:37:47 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on June 09, 2022, 03:49:39 AM

It varies.  Some shows drop all the episodes at the same time for binge watching.  Other shows release an episode at a time.  Lately, the episode at a time model seems to be increasing, although there are still plenty of shows that release for binge.

They do seem to be losing subs lately, for myriad reasons.  The massive amount of competition from Disney and Apple has hurt them a bit, as well as a few other things.

I think it used to do well because of their focus on having content from all over the place. For a while there was a ton of movies and shows there. The move towards self-produced shows was smart, but they went to far into that. Now when I open Netflix 90% of what is available is made by Netflix. I think they would probably have switched to a more hybrid model a while back but it has become difficult to get content from other companies anymore because everyone wants to have their own service now.

Plus the average Netflix show is generally not great, here and there you find some good stuff, but it keeps getting harder.

G.G.

The beginning of Metallica's "Sad But True" usually flushes out any earworm I'm currently experiencing. :-D

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on June 07, 2022, 08:49:38 PM
I'll admit it - I binged S4 of Stranger Things and I've had "Running up That Hill" as an earworm for like ten days now. Make it stop! Once, in my college years, I had John Coltrane's "Favorite Things" as an earworm for almost two months. It's a weird mix of maddening and relaxation at the same time. Must have brain reboot. Considering electrocution with a 9v battery.

That started for me a few years ago when Meg Myers covered that song and it got heavy rotation on local radio.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peccary

My daughter is two and a half right now and her favorite movie is Moana. I've had "You're Welcome!" stuck in my head for about two months now. I wake up in the middle of the night with "I'm just an ordinary demi-guy!" already locked and loaded. The song is hilarious and great, but my god when will it end?!?!

Haberdasher

Quote from: peccary on June 09, 2022, 09:08:56 AM
My daughter is two and a half right now and her favorite movie is Moana. I've had "You're Welcome!" stuck in my head for about two months now. I wake up in the middle of the night with "I'm just an ordinary demi-guy!" already locked and loaded. The song is hilarious and great, but my god when will it end?!?!
Hah, that song is awesome, & I had that in my head for a while too.  I even youtube'd it & watched it a couple of times.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on June 09, 2022, 06:37:47 AM

The fact that they are one of the (if not THEE) most expensive streaming service is probably the biggest factor.

matmosphere

Quote from: peccary on June 09, 2022, 09:08:56 AM

Just wait til she sees Encanto... Let's just say I hear a LOT about Bruno, especially for a guy that we don't talk about.