News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Testing pcb with j1 j2

Started by oinkaudioworks, June 11, 2022, 10:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oinkaudioworks

Howdy all,
First time poster, sorry if anything isn't clear. I'm still fairly new to the pedal building game, and I ran into a situation that's super confusing to me. I soldered up all my components to the Kraken pcb that I purchased and began to wire it up for a test run with my test box but I cant figure out where I would hook up the wires to J1 J2? Could somebody run me through how to wire one of these pcbs up for testing before I box it up? Much Thanks!

Derpinador

MOST pcb makers that have J!/J2 it serves as the in and out from the original audio path, IE where the guitar patch cables enter and exit. J1 is the inbound 'hot' or tip and J2 is the outbound hot/tip. a few companies are simpler and show them as I and O. J1 is from the sound source, be it guitar, keyboard... signal generator you dropped like 15 ~20 bucks to get.  J2 will head to the amp/speaker IF not using an audio probe(and still a good idea to use it anwyas to find where the signal died...)

mjg

J1 and J2 at the top of the board are simply connected to J1 and J2 at the bottom of the board.  They are to make it easier to do top mounted jacks.

If you want to connect to a test rig, and not wire up a stomp switch yet, I'd suggest you use the connections at the bottom of the board labelled In and Out.  Ignore the J ones for now, until you are putting things in the box.

madbean

Yeah that's bang on. For testing you only need four spots wired: power, ground, In and Out.

oinkaudioworks

Thanks guys, I was able to test the pedal with your advice and we're good to go!