News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Has anyone checked out Aion's power converter scheme on their preamps?

Started by gordo, June 14, 2022, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This is pretty cool by my standards, maybe it's been around for a while.  If you check out any of Kevin's new preamps he has a DC-DC converter module that is a solder-in block.  This is after the fact from his Lab Series preamp project but I've ordered a few spares just to monkey with retroing the power setup in the L5-pre so I can use it in a standard power supply setup.  The AC adapter was my biggest bugaboo with the board till I tried my Yamaha Stomp series power supply, and then the Voodoo Lab AC equivalent to sort out my problems.

If I'm successful I'll post a retrofit.  I think that was a major drawback to the L5 pre, although I believe it was a commercial success.  I've never used mine in a live setup just because the power is a pain in the ass.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Drew Hallenbeck

Might work out okay but doesn't the Lab Series arrangement end up with a +/- 15v supply?
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Aentons

I just looked at it and those dc-dc converters are over $10 a pop. It seems a bit expensive for what it's trying accomplish. Cool idea to get just the right voltage, but not sure I'd want to go that route

The PP2+ and Trutone CS series supplies will output 12V on their ACA outputs. So that and something like the TC7662B like the VFE pedals use seems ideal

Aentons

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on June 15, 2022, 04:35:00 AM
Might work out okay but doesn't the Lab Series arrangement end up with a +/- 15v supply?

I just checked  the doc on this and yes, that does seem to be the case. I didn't realize it uses a 9v AC adapter to get +/-25v and then regulates down to +/-15v. It seems like 18v supply into a 15v regulator plus an inverter would have been easier

Sorry Aion, not trying to go negative on you, just reporting my curiousity ;D

Betty Wont

I'm about to build one of these, just got the parts in. I like it. Its elegant in a way.

madbean

I used a similar power block on the Rustbucket project. I guess the big drawback is these units are expensive and recently have been pretty hard to get. I used a different brand on the RB but the last time I looked the next availability was 2023. Other than that they seem to work really well.

benny_profane

One draw back to the VFE method is the current limitation, right? Those chips are rated for 20mA.

madbean

Quote from: benny_profane on June 16, 2022, 08:35:21 AM
One draw back to the VFE method is the current limitation, right? Those chips are rated for 20mA.

Something around that. However, if you are just doing a straight bi-polar conversion (iow, DC in to output -DC) the current limitation is only for the negative rail. The positive rail is only limited by its total mA rating. But, if you are doing voltage pump and conversion on both rails then the current handling capability has to be considered for both.

gordo

In hindsight I sounded overly harsh in my assessment of the Aion project.  Not intended at all and I have two of them.  I would love to be able to do a DC conversion though so I ordered a couple extra modules.

I built up the Ampeg preamp that Kevin came up with and it sounds really good and quite quiet compared to my real Ampeg VT-60 which is a similar gain structure.  I also built up the Traynor TS50 bass pre for nostalgia sake. One of my fave amps (and one of the last as I downsize) is an old TS25.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

aion

Quote from: Aentons on June 15, 2022, 07:53:57 PM

I just checked  the doc on this and yes, that does seem to be the case. I didn't realize it uses a 9v AC adapter to get +/-25v and then regulates down to +/-15v. It seems like 18v supply into a 15v regulator plus an inverter would have been easier

Current handling was the main issue. The L5 was on the edge of 100mA based on back-of-envelope estimation, and could very easily exceed it if someone experimented with newer opamps instead of 4558s in their build, so it wouldn't have been the right solution. But I do have a redesign of the L5 underway that uses the DC modules!

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: aion on June 17, 2022, 04:51:43 AM
Quote from: Aentons on June 15, 2022, 07:53:57 PM

Current handling was the main issue. The L5 was on the edge of 100mA based on back-of-envelope estimation, and could very easily exceed it if someone experimented with newer opamps instead of 4558s in their build, so it wouldn't have been the right solution. But I do have a redesign of the L5 underway that uses the DC modules!

Awesome! Will it still have the same control layout/drill template?
Any chance there'll be future offerings of custom printed & drilled enclosures with the nice lab series badges?
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

aion

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on June 17, 2022, 09:50:37 AM
Awesome! Will it still have the same control layout/drill template?
Any chance there'll be future offerings of custom printed & drilled enclosures with the nice lab series badges?

Different drill template, but similar control layout overall. Top mount jacks. I'll do a full kit of it at some point, and will probably also do 'lite' kits with the enclosure and I/O module but none of the onboard components, which would be the equivalent of the enclosure runs I've been doing before.

No logo badges though... Gibson still owns the IP and they weren't exactly flattered by our homage.

zgrav

Did you get a pseudo-C&D letter from Gibson's attorneys that is suitable for framing?