News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oops! Wrong-808 (yet another tube screamer + Demo)

Started by BricksnBeatles, June 20, 2022, 07:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BricksnBeatles

Don’t think I’ve ever posted a build report here, so I guess now’s the time. This one is a build from this past weekend, but I did the enclosure design like 9 months ago, so it’s long overdue.
I took a long time to get this one done (well, started) for a few reasons. First, I ordered the UV print back in December, and that was all good, but then I decided I wanted to do relay bypass, and I couldn’t get my hands on the relays for quite some time. Wound up getting the relay when PedalPCB started stocking them last month, and once I saw it was orange, well… you give a mouse a cookie; I wanted to color coordinate the insides. Did carbon film resistors for their creamy beige coloring, but was missing a few essential values, so I had to order a cheap assortment, so that stalled things a bit. Some point around this time I also ordered repro 808 knobs from Thonk in the UK. Then when I was populating the relay board I realized I had forgotten the regulator, so I had to wait for the Tayda order to arrive, which took about a month. Got the regulator on Saturday, and got everything else loaded up, but then the power went out as I was starting the offboard wiring. Yesterday after finishing up some school assignments I was able to get the offboard wiring all hooked up and get this dude plugged in.

Please note that I’ve always been a big TS hater— back when I was playing my Strat for 90% of my stuff, I found that every TS I played just gave me that obnoxious SRV “blooze dad” tone. I had no interest in ever building a TS, and just came up with the design because I liked the visual concept— hey, I’m a sucker for a gimmick. Well, let me tell you— after plugging my LP into this thing, I was blown away. I guess I like tubescreamers after all, with the big caveat being that I only like them paired with humbuckers. A happy ending was had for all!

Oh, that’s right. You’re here to see guts n’ stuff. Here you go. [Note: I swear, the tone knob is perfectly centered over the text. The camera angle is playing tricks. My drill-skill is on fleek]

I’m sure most of you get the visual gag, but if not, I’ll explain: to the average guitarist, the mention of an 808 conjures up images of green boxes, magical op amps, and gigantic hats. To any other musician, the term “808” immediately evokes thoughts of the world’s most iconic drum machine, with its hi-hat rolls and tuned-kick sub-bass lines. See for yourself:

Now that you understand the visuals, you may be asking “but how does it sound?”

Probably not. You know what a tubescreamer sounds like, and this sounds like that. Nevertheless, I threw together a quick track featuring the Oops! Wrong-808 so yeah…

The track starts with four bars of the dry guitar, and then kicks into two different screamery tones— a mid gain one with a compressor after it for rhythm, and a pretty-much goosed one with oodles of echo for the lead stuff.

Henceforth and hitherto, let the demonstration of thine coveted screamer commence:
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Tyze8q9h9ipJyLhz7

cooder

Excellent and the graphics are over the top cool, colour coordination on cables and all that! Great build!
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

🚨🚨 dope shit alert 🚨🚨

Every time Nick shows something, I'm impressed

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Aentons

Invertiguy

Holy crap, that's gotta be the coolest Tube Screamer clone I've ever seen! That thing is stunning inside and out, and I love the way you paid homage to the venerable Roland TR-808 with the graphics. Incredible work!
Doomsday Devices

gordo

Damn that's cool.  I would have totally overlooked the 808 color reference.  Very crafty.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

storyboardist

Love it! You really nailed the aesthetic. I've been struggling with my OD tone lately, like you not really wanted to go the TS route. But I threw my old VooDoo Lab Sparkle Drive on my board and it just nailed what was in my head. Now I'm cloning it in a 125B, doing a custom board with relay bypass and UV print that's just delaying the process. Familiar huh? lol
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bio77

Incredible build, from concept to execution.  Super cool!  8)

Willybomb

I've lost count of how many tubescreamers I've owned, build, and sold on.  I don't actually have one currently although my MS-3 does a pretty good version of it.  I just can't get on with them.  In other news, I have 3 of Storyboardist's Kentaurides to put together, so I'm hoping that might be a keeper.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

zombie_rock123

The colour scheme reference woulda gone over my head without the explanation but still think it looks awesome on its own, the textured enclosure matching the knobs is smashin too!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

LaceSensor

BricksnBeatles

Dang! I really wasn't expecting the love I'm seeing for this! There are always so many fantastic builds on here. I thought for sure the visuals would be a bit too niche/oddball since I tend to base a lot of my stuff on weird, silly puns.
It's hard in this day and age to make a tube screamer of all things seem interesting, so the fact that you're all digging the graphic makes me super happy!