News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

General State of the Hobby

Started by gordo, June 24, 2022, 10:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fig

I keep forgetting this is about building pedals....

Much love...
I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

jimilee

Quote from: fig on June 26, 2022, 01:00:44 PM
I keep forgetting this is about building pedals....

Much love...
Building them, not actually playing them, just building. Us die hards have no time for that nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peccary

As far as keeping motivated: I feel pretty comfortable building and really enjoy the process. I tried to get in to the electronics side of things but it's not something I pick up quick as I have really no foundation and I don't really have much interest in learning it beyond individual issues I run in to.

My gears have shifted more to learning to work more with metal (I do blacksmithing as a hobby as well so metal working is something I enjoy) so I have been experimenting with bent enclosure design (I want to make those old Hammond consoles with wood cheeks). My cousin just gifted me a mini lathe as well and I am planning on making some knobs when I get a little better at working the machine.

I suppose I like work with my hands more than anything, and this hobby has helped me to push myself to be better at something. Not better than someone else, but bettering myself through crafting things, trying new things, and always trying to make what I am currently doing better that what I did last. If I can manage that I tend to keep pretty happy.

madbean

Quote from: peccary on June 26, 2022, 10:37:14 PM
My gears have shifted more to learning to work more with metal..

Oh boy, that is something I've been wanting to do! Once I get the new shop I want to build some work benches with metal framing.

jimilee

I'm envious of someone that can take a blank piece of wood or steel and turn it into something functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Derpinador

Come with me grasshopper.. I look at what I need for a job and have it half designed in my head on the way to Home Despot or ACE...
Dad was worse, he'd look at somebody else's and build to the size/capacities HE needed  :o
just think of the fun of developing new skills. and all the welding rods, drill bits and grinder wheels you're about to wreck!!
Now for almost serious, just have fun with it no expectations other than it's likely going to be heavier than you thought when ya 1st started building it.

Now to get rid of the stink from contact cement, been attaching tiger maple laminates half the day....