News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zoom. Zooooooooooom. zoom us?

Started by madbean, June 28, 2022, 05:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've been thinking for several months I would like to set up a weekly "office hours" open-call Zoom session. This would be a chance for anyone to check in, talk about what they are working on, or work through build problems (for anything, not just madbean). I would host but all would be welcome.

What do you guys think? I could actually budget for the basic "no time limit" hosting package which would be a lot better than killing the call after 40 minutes (that's the free version limit). But, I'd like to get some feedback before I spend madbean funds on it.

jimilee

I think it's a stellar idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dan.schumaker

Sounds like fun.  I enjoyed the one that was setup for PFUKR, it was good to put a face to names of people.

mjg

Yeah maybe?  Will depend on when "office hours" for your side of the planet works out for me. 

pickdropper

Quote from: dan.schumaker on June 28, 2022, 08:10:07 PM
Sounds like fun.  I enjoyed the one that was setup for PFUKR, it was good to put a face to names of people.

Yeah, putting a face on names would be cool.

Depending on when it is, I'd try and make it at least once.  I don't have time for much personal building these days, but it'd be cool to jump in the chat anyway.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Hirti

I am not sure if I would participate because English isn't my first language and I am really shy in real life, but I think it's a really cool idea! :) ;D

Drew Hallenbeck

I probably wouldn't make it for every session but I'd definitely jump on from time to time.
There are a handful of Madbeaners who have helped me out over the years and a few that I have somewhat regular communication with outside of the forum.
I think it would be a great way to increase community engagement and support!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

madbean

Yeah I don't expect anyone to make it all the time. Mostly I'm just gauging interest that some might attend at some point. It could be a monthly thing or whatever.

jkokura

As long as times are posted, I'd probably join.

Consider signing up for a 1 month sub to zoom, or a 3 month, instead of a whole year. It sounds like something people will do a few times, but I would hate for you to shell out and 3 months from now nobody is joining.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

BricksnBeatles

I'd probably stop by most of the time

jessenator

Another option/alternative to Zoom would be setting up a Discord server. Granted, this avenue is more work than a simple Zoom meeting, but there's flexibility should one want it in the future... The nice thing about video/voice specifically is that there are dedicated voice/video channels one can set up out of the box: they're just rooms that anyone can jump into at any time, have a chat, and maybe the occasional "official" meeting happening . This is all in addition to just text/chat channels.

It can be configured to lock-down these channels to certain "tagged" members, too. (Friendly) bots can be used to automate the member vetting/on-boarding process (read: fewer scambots get in vs open-invitation). It can also be set up to just be invite-only as well. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but based on the servers I've joined, it's fairly configurable.

I mean, there is the potential that it would become just another (hard-to-moderate) $#!@posting nightmare world, but there are upsides. The biggest issues have always been with open-admission servers, and relies heavily on the moderator teams. Again, bots can be implemented to automatically warn/ban offenders, but were it me, it'd be invite-only (not that I'd know who to invite).

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

EBK

I am a shy introvert who doesn't show his actual face on the Internet.  But, I'd probably make a rare appearance anyway.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

I have a terrible work schedule to deal with but am always down to try and talk pedals.

matmosphere

I'd be down for this as well. I love the idea!!