News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Microphones (heading into the rabbit hole here...)

Started by dan.schumaker, June 11, 2019, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

So as I am looking to make some more demos of the pedals I build, I am thinking I want to do something a little more "professional" than now.  I want to stick to just shitty playing instead of shitty playing and shitty audio quality.  So I am looking for a mic to capture the sound from my amp.  I know I could use an audio interface and go straight from the pedal into the interface and into a DAW, but I am thinking I want to go the mic route.

So big question here, looking at mic's, I think I want to go with either the Sennheiser e609 or the venerable Shure SM-57.

I don't think I can go wrong with either option, just looking for input from people I trust (and I guess input from the people I don't trust too  ;D )

peterc

Mick and Dan at That Pedal Show have some good ideas about mics. Here is one of their episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErx9zRPQgA

I always ended up using a Shure 57 with a U87 6 feet back.

Good luck YMMV!
Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

matmosphere

jjjimi84

I use a combination of a couple mics, lately I have found for pedal demos a ribbon and a condenser has worked really well for me. I have had better success with the e609 over the 57 and usually have it paired with something.

As Tim Pierce explained the 57 is the mid punch and the ribbon (121) is the high and lows to complete the sound.

bantaxes

I came across your post from four years ago about choosing a microphone for capturing the sound from your amp for pedal demos. It's great to see your dedication to improving your audio quality.

Both the Sennheiser e609 and the Shure SM-57 are excellent choices, and you're right; you can't really go wrong with either of them. They have their unique qualities, and it often comes down to personal preference and the specific sound you're aiming for.

If you ever decide to explore different microphone options for various recording purposes, including ASMR, you can check out asmrmicrophones.com. Even though the thread is a few years old, they might still provide insights and recommendations on various microphone setups.

lars

The Shure SM545 is often overlooked, but it's the slightly "better" version of the SM57 IMHO. I don't know if the current production 545's are as nice as the vintage ones, but the vintage 545 I have is the best-sounding snare & guitar amp recording mic I have ever used. It has more presence on vocals in comparison to the SM57 as well.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....