News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hello I'm Dave glad to be back !

Started by DLM, January 20, 2023, 06:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLM

Used to build a pedal ever once in awhile from here . It's been years ago . All the people where great at helping a noob back then as well as today . I never really understood what I was doing , just soldering boards and hoping they would work ,some did some didn't (lol) never learned how to test them . And now being newly retired I have nothing but time to go back and learn the right way of doing things . Which brings to my question : Can any of you suggest an online school or course I can use ? most of the youtube vids are hit and miss . I would like to start with basics and be able bread board circuits and understand why and what they are doing  . Thanks guys for your help and I hope I posted in the correct category !

madbean

Welcome, Dave!  It's always time to pursue a new or renewed hobby no matter the age. The thing about the DIY/maker sphere  (of almost any avenue) is that wherever there might be a lack of formal courses of study the big plus is in the communities that are built around them and the interaction that comes from that. Forums, youTube, social media, etc. Just immerse yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions.

jimilee

Welcome Dave, welcome back. What Brian said, I've learned so much from the DIY community. This particular corner of the inter tubez is one of the most helpful, without judgement. Check out the electric library for some good reads. It's on the forum...somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jwin615

Hey Dave and welcome back.
Another Dave has a YouTube channel called EEVblog . Some of his early videos on basic electronics are really well spelled out.
There are several good videos on YouTube about fuzz faces.
@diyguitarpedalsau is another good channel.
If you want a great reference, I am a big fan of the Audio Cyclopedia. It's long been out of print but at 1700 pages, it has a ton of great info well layed out, if you want to get that deep
Analog devices also has a wonderful education section on their website. The amplifier and filter design books are good to peruse, again, if you want to get into more theory/math.
Even without doing the math, there are a lot of typical circuit design elements explained in only semi-engineer speak.

DLM

Thanks to all of you - I'll keep building away .