News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greetings from Keech Design - Drilling Jigs for Builders

Started by KeechDesign, July 02, 2022, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeechDesign

Hello!

My name is Andy Keech, owner and founder of Keech Design LLC. While I don't do a ton of pedal building myself, I have always been a huge audio nerd, and have been building and repairing audio gear for close to a decade. Immediately after I graduated high school, I went to a school for audio engineering, and after working in that field for a few years, decided to go back to school for a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering.

I recently started a company that designs and makes 3D printed drilling jigs to help my builder friends speed up the most tedious part of their builds--the marking and drilling for component holes. Getting your pots, switches, 1/4" jacks and DC jack holes drilled symetrically, consistent when doing large production runs, and professional looking is the key to a great looking product, and it seemed the DIY pedal community had a need for something they could use rather than taping paper templates to enclosures and hoping for the best.

My goal is to create jigs for the most common enclosures, while being as universal as possible. This gives the builder the ability to create standard pedal layouts, or for you wild builders, to make all sorts of creative layouts! An

Currently, I have only released jigs for the 1590B and 1590BB enclosures, but am working on finalizing the design for 125B enclosure jigs, as well as a simple (and cheaper) tool for 1590A boxes. You can view a few of the product images I've attached, or visit www.keechdesign.com for more info. I wanted to join this forum to get a better idea of what the people want when it comes to jigs, and to help the community as much as possible with my jigs. Feedback is always welcome and encouraged as I continue to revise and release new jigs, and am looking for as much feedback for the upcomming 125B-style jig as I can get! An extra cheesy demo/instructional video for how we reccomend using the jigs can be seen here:

Finally, I just wanted to say what a pleasure it has been meeting pedal builders, and seeing all of the small businesses and their amazing builds! The DIY pedal community has been extremely kind and welcoming, and it's an absolute pleasure to join the forum!

Cheers!
Andy

Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: KeechDesign on July 02, 2022, 10:53:45 PM
Hello!

My name is Andy Keech, owner and founder of Keech Design LLC. While I don't do a ton of pedal building myself, I have always been a huge audio nerd, and have been building and repairing audio gear for close to a decade. Immediately after I graduated high school, I went to a school for audio engineering, and after working in that field for a few years, decided to go back to school for a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering.

I recently started a company that designs and makes 3D printed drilling jigs to help my builder friends speed up the most tedious part of their builds--the marking and drilling for component holes. Getting your pots, switches, 1/4" jacks and DC jack holes drilled symetrically, consistent when doing large production runs, and professional looking is the key to a great looking product, and it seemed the DIY pedal community had a need for something they could use rather than taping paper templates to enclosures and hoping for the best.

My goal is to create jigs for the most common enclosures, while being as universal as possible. This gives the builder the ability to create standard pedal layouts, or for you wild builders, to make all sorts of creative layouts! An

Currently, I have only released jigs for the 1590B and 1590BB enclosures, but am working on finalizing the design for 125B enclosure jigs, as well as a simple (and cheaper) tool for 1590A boxes. You can view a few of the product images I've attached, or visit www.keechdesign.com for more info. I wanted to join this forum to get a better idea of what the people want when it comes to jigs, and to help the community as much as possible with my jigs. Feedback is always welcome and encouraged as I continue to revise and release new jigs, and am looking for as much feedback for the upcomming 125B-style jig as I can get! An extra cheesy demo/instructional video for how we reccomend using the jigs can be seen here:

Finally, I just wanted to say what a pleasure it has been meeting pedal builders, and seeing all of the small businesses and their amazing builds! The DIY pedal community has been extremely kind and welcoming, and it's an absolute pleasure to join the forum!

Cheers!
Andy
[emoji848] Interesting. How how I make sure my eagle files line up with the holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

KeechDesign

Quote from: gordo on July 03, 2022, 07:58:37 AM
Very interesting, and welcome to the forum!!

Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how things work around here, and thought I saw something in the rules saying advertising products was frowned upon, so I wasn't sure where the best place to post was, but this seemed like a good place to start!
Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz

madbean

Quote from: KeechDesign on July 03, 2022, 01:18:32 PM

Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how things work around here, and thought I saw something in the rules saying advertising products was frowned upon, so I wasn't sure where the best place to post was, but this seemed like a good place to start!

Welcome to the forum. Advertising a product or service is fine so long as it's geared towards DIY builders (obviously so here). So long as you don't spam the forum with multiple threads duplicating the ad then there's no problem.

KeechDesign

Quote from: jimilee on July 03, 2022, 08:48:43 AM
Hello!

Cheers!
Andy
[emoji848] Interesting. How how I make sure my eagle files line up with the holes?

Thanks for checking it out! I have 2D CAD drawings of the hole positions on my website, so you would just need to compare your PCB layout dimensions (spacing between center of pot shaft, switches, etc.) to those drawings to check. I'm guessing it won't match, I can always do custom jigs for specific layouts for builders like yourself, but between all the different kits and custom PCBs used by different builders, it's impossible to make one jig that is compatible with every different PCB out there.

The first two (B and BB) were designed more for vero board builders that don't have a specific position holes need to be at, but the 125B is going to be released in the next few days and will be compatible with PedalPCB kits/boards.

Hope that answered your question! Thanks again
Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz

KeechDesign

Quote from: madbean on July 03, 2022, 01:26:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for the warm welcome and info! Looking forward to seeing some cool builds digging through all the forums, I've been hearing a lot of great things about this site, and am glad I gave it a look!

Welcome to the forum. Advertising a product or service is fine so long as it's geared towards DIY builders (obviously so here). So long as you don't spam the forum with multiple threads duplicating the ad then there's no problem.
Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz

jimilee

Quote from: KeechDesign on July 03, 2022, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 03, 2022, 08:48:43 AM
Hello!

Cheers!
Andy

Thanks for checking it out! I have 2D CAD drawings of the hole positions on my website, so you would just need to compare your PCB layout dimensions (spacing between center of pot shaft, switches, etc.) to those drawings to check. I'm guessing it won't match, I can always do custom jigs for specific layouts for builders like yourself, but between all the different kits and custom PCBs used by different builders, it's impossible to make one jig that is compatible with every different PCB out there.

The first two (B and BB) were designed more for vero board builders that don't have a specific position holes need to be at, but the 125B is going to be released in the next few days and will be compatible with PedalPCB kits/boards.

Hope that answered your question! Thanks again
Thank you. I have PCBs fabbed just for myself, so I can tailor them to your templates.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

KeechDesign

Quote from: madbean on July 03, 2022, 01:26:22 PM

Sheesh, apparently I'm still struggling to learn how to use a forum haha. I'm in my early 30s, and I think the last time I used a forum like this was 15 years ago before social media came along  ;D

Thank you for clarifying the rules regarding ads, etc. I will keep posts to a minimum, and likely only post when there is an update to the product line or have a new video or review/example build to share.

Thanks again!
Andy
Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz

Willybomb

Quotebut the 125B is going to be released in the next few days and will be compatible with PedalPCB kits/boards.

Not to be that bloke, but you might want to check with BuGG on that as he sells templates and jigs in the PedalPCB store.

KeechDesign

Thank you so much for this info! I started with the intention to market toward more strip board/vero board or point-to-point style builders, that could put pots/switches/etc. wherever they wanted. I figured anyone that mass produced pedals with PCBs defining the hole placements would have a jig or system set up already, but when polling around I had so many requests for hole locations that would accomdate the PedalPCB hole spacing, I figured "hey why not, the more options the better."

I'll look into this, and try getting in touch with BuGG. I don't want to step on anyones toes, just help the community! I'll make some calls tomorrow when the world opens up again. 
Andy Keech
Keech Design LLC
andy@keech.biz