News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590LB Rat Test

Started by thomasha, July 03, 2022, 04:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasha

Hi,
this time I tried something different inspired by some builds where two boards are used,
one for the pots and one for the rest of the circuit.
To start with something easier and with less components, I made a layout for the rat:

I still have to fit it in the box, but so far it works.
Some things that I still want to improve:
- Mirror the board with potentiometers. The copper layer got loose in some points while soldering the connectors

- Better/Single connectors. I cut mine from connector bars, but as you can see, the plastic is gone.
I will have to find some kind of single connector, or move them around, so that there are more connectors together. 

I saw some people use IC sockets, but in this case a certain distance is necessary to fit the power jack, and the sockets are too short.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Thomas

mjg

Would the header sockets and pins you get for things like Arduino be too tall for what you need?  (I tend to use them for stuff, I can do some measurements if you need)

Aleph Null

This is nuts! Can't wait to see it in the enclosure!

dawson

Your craftsmanship never ceases to impress and inspire
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

thomasha

So,
finally finished this one!
First: Added input/output jack and 2PDT switch, then added the LED and the board with potentiometers.
I ran into trouble here.
- I only had the larger jacks, instead of the Lumberg one (KLMB 3) had to sand it a little so that they would fit.
- The LED needs to connect to the second board. It would have been easier if the millenium bypass was on the first board (with the jacks)
- Had to cut some space for the jacks on the board. Fortunately, as you can see by the copper planes, there was nothing on the edges of the board. I also cut a piece of the ground plane where the 9V jack is positioned.

Second board in place, only needed to solder the LED wires, the millenium bypass switch and the inlet, that was fast!

With the lid in place

Front

QuoteWould the header sockets and pins you get for things like Arduino be too tall for what you need?  (I tend to use them for stuff, I can do some measurements if you need)
That depends on the type of sockets. I got some, but my pins aren't rounded, and won't fit in it. Next time I am going to buy the proper pair.

jimilee

Quote from: thomasha on July 10, 2022, 12:54:26 PM
So,
finally finished this one!
First: Added input/output jack and 2PDT switch, then added the LED and the board with potentiometers.
I ran into trouble here.
- I only had the larger jacks, instead of the Lumberg one (KLMB 3) had to sand it a little so that they would fit.
- The LED needs to connect to the second board. It would have been easier if the millenium bypass was on the first board (with the jacks)
- Had to cut some space for the jacks on the board. Fortunately, as you can see by the copper planes, there was nothing on the edges of the board. I also cut a piece of the ground plane where the 9V jack is positioned.

Second board in place, only needed to solder the LED wires, the millenium bypass switch and the inlet, that was fast!

With the lid in place

Front

QuoteWould the header sockets and pins you get for things like Arduino be too tall for what you need?  (I tend to use them for stuff, I can do some measurements if you need)
That depends on the type of sockets. I got some, but my pins aren't rounded, and won't fit in it. Next time I am going to buy the proper pair.
Next time? You're a mad man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Holy.. woah... that's amazing! The etch looks great too!

Bio77

Amazing, as  always!  8)  The etch is killer!

Are those regular size jacks? 

thomasha

QuoteAre those regular size jacks?
Yes, they barely fit. I made the holes a little larger so I could still move them a little bit, while checking the position.

cooder

Lemme get my microscope, I can't see it without....
Crazy good, you need to put a matchbox beside it to remind us of size of the enclosure.
BigNoise Amplification

adielricci

Thomas, that's another amazing feat!  Congratulations!  A while ago I built something along the lines of your project.  I really like the Rat.

I used the Gauss Markov project