News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tour bus power

Started by 3knobfury, July 04, 2022, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3knobfury

This will sound like a very noob question that might call into question the wisdom of starting this project (never stopped me before), but before I smoke $36 worth of BBD chips, the Tour bus runs 18v DC, not AC correct?

benny_profane

Yes, it is powered by 18v DC and is wired for positive ground.

jimilee

Quote from: benny_profane on July 04, 2022, 10:37:50 AM
Yes, it is powered by 18v DC and is wired for positive ground.
All the DIY pedals I've built require DC voltage. I've seen many AC casualties.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Derpinador

Only ac pedals I'm aware of are factory made relics from waaay back(like Les Paul still touring..) that were just adaptations of rack units to put on stage to replicate the fun they had in the studio.

BryGuy

If I recall the Uber tuber requires an AC adapter. Think I also remember a video tha Wampler did a while back where he plugged an ac adapter into a non-AC pedal. Fireworks

jimilee

Quote from: BryGuy on July 04, 2022, 12:17:25 PM
If I recall the Uber tuber requires an AC adapter. Think I also remember a video tha Wampler did a while back where he plugged an ac adapter into a non-AC pedal. Fireworks
I thought I was losing my mind for a Monet there: The Dunlop ECB004US AC adapter provides 18VDC @ 500mA of current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

3knobfury

Thanks for the reply All. I was 90% sure, but being an old big box EHX circuit, needed the final affirmation. The Hapalochlaena from DeadEnd fx requires an 18v AC power supply.

jimilee

Quote from: 3knobfury on July 04, 2022, 03:37:24 PM
Thanks for the reply All. I was 90% sure, but being an old big box EHX circuit, needed the final affirmation. The Hapalochlaena from DeadEnd fx requires an 18v AC power supply.
How does that get accomplished, is there an adapter I guess?

3knobfury

Quote from: jimilee on July 05, 2022, 07:49:46 AM
Quote from: 3knobfury on July 04, 2022, 03:37:24 PM

I actually had to make one. I found an 18v AC wall wart for the Ring security system that I added a 2.1mm plug to. I have heard of others using laptop power cables to power theirs.

Derpinador

On other notes for power requirements.. 1 should ALWAYS recheck what's written on a capacitor. I somehow had my minor lysdexia kick in(normally it's outgoing, IE words typed/written backwards) and thought the voltage rating and temp rating were inverted... ::)
4v cap+18v=electric popcorn  :o
Testing my IC sockets kept getting 3.6 to 4.2 volt readings.. then POWWW! the 470uf blew was a 4 volt max 85 C temp not 85v....

I've used an old printer PSU  for a 5~6watt headphone amp. If there's wires it can be red-neck engineered.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jimilee on July 05, 2022, 07:49:46 AM

Typically, you could (at the cheapest level) use some 1N400X diodes to smooth the AC. Another option would be to use a FWBR and some filtering caps.

For the DEFX project noted above, the AC is smoothed, filtered, and fed into regulators to provide + and - 15VDC. Its in the schematic if you want to have a look.

Bio77

Aion's L5 pre-amp uses 9V AC.  I have that adaptor stored in a special box with a skull and crossbones on it  ;D