News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How can I get more volume out of Yellow Shark

Started by sgmezei, December 24, 2011, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

I run my yellow shark with the volume wide open and the gain pretty much off. I get a really nice tiny amount of grit for playing modern country stuff. Lately with my humbucker guitars the volume is slightly under unity, making me turn up the gain a bit to match bypass volume. Then it gets too gritty haha.

I would like to increase the volume. Is it as simple as putting in a larger value pot? Just wanted to double check and maybe get some other input.

jkokura

Try fiddling with the volume pot value. I'd try 100K to start.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

v00d00blues79

I used a 100k on my build and its got plenty of volume.  I just need to figure out why my drive pot kicks in immediately and goes pretty much straight to full bore throughout the entire range of the pot.

Andy

aegert

Hey just completed the build. All works fine. I do thin the pedal is below unity gain out. I tried the 100k pot trick and you get a little but nothing really to speak or. I think the buffer on the output is not set correctly for gain.

I will play with it..

Is this notoriously a lower volume pedal. It is a slight difference but its definitely there. I can see why people build this with a post in front of it...

The  tone circuit is pretty cool it does the thick fat sound well and is not piercing on the treble side Cool..

If anyone has any thoughts on it or has the original pedal please respond to:

1) output volume level overall of pedal is it lower than most?
2) buffer gain changes to increase output level

thanks A

sgmezei

I put in the 100k pot and it did not make a huge difference. I haven't yet opened it up again to tinker with it. If you are using the gain above 8:00 and the volume full on, you should get more than unity.

More gain = more and more volume. I just like mine low gain, but I wanted it louder.

oldhousescott

You could try raising R12 to 10k which will raise the gain through the jfet to about 4.5. You could also tack a 10uF cap across R11 to raise the gain of that stage even more. These changes might affect the character of the pedal, though, so you'll just have to try them to see if you like them.

aegert

Quote from: oldhousescott on March 10, 2012, 08:01:02 PM
You could try raising R12 to 10k which will raise the gain through the jfet to about 4.5. You could also tack a 10uF cap across R11 to raise the gain of that stage even more. These changes might affect the character of the pedal, though, so you'll just have to try them to see if you like them.

Thanks will try...
Thanks again for the fast response!

Jiverson

Sorry to drag up this old thread. Didn't want to start a new topic if I didn't have to.

I built my Yellow Shark with the single sided board from Haberdasher. Got it together and I'm having the same issue with the volume. It barely reaches unity all the way up. Took it apart and checked all my values with the project file. All was correct. Checked some connections and made sure nothing was shorting against anything else and tried again. Same deal.

I have it right next to an actual Bearfoot version and it's so much quieter. If it helps with the diagnosis, the gain pot cuts out when it gets to about 4 or 5 o' clock, though this could be a separate issue entirely.

Has anyone found any errors in the directions or parts list? It'd be nice to get a solution posted here.

-Josh

midwayfair

Quote from: Jiverson on April 06, 2013, 11:33:28 AMI have it right next to an actual Bearfoot version and it's so much quieter. If it helps with the diagnosis, the gain pot cuts out when it gets to about 4 or 5 o' clock, though this could be a separate issue entirely.

You have a solder bridge somewhere, probably lug 3 to ground. Get out the old magnifying glass and multimeter and start checking for continuity and make sure all your soldering is clean.

oldhousescott

Just re-read my post from a year ago and noticed my suggestion for bypassing R11 would negate the effect of the nature control. Hmmm, I'll have to pay more attention to the schematic!

Jiverson

Yeah, thanks Jon. checked everything out and reflowed a couple joints to be sure. The cutting out issue got resolved along the way.

Still have this volume issue though. I couldn't for the life of me determine what was causing it so I started over on a new board with all new components. Same exact deal with the low volume. I typically run my Bearfoot version with the volume at noon and the gain at about 9:00. That's right at unity. To get similar results with the Yellow Shark, the volume is dimed.

It'd be nice to have the extra volume and versatility.

hmmmm. :-\

Jiverson

Would a 200k or 250k pot have any negative implications in the circuit, or could it be the answer?

-Josh

sgmezei

Sorry I have neglected this thread. I am on the road at the moment and it might be awhile before I can experiment with mine.

Hopefully some others will chime in.

Jiverson

Hey Scott: You ever find a fix for this??

I gave it a rest for awhile but want to get to the bottom of it. I'm having the same issue you are: By the time unity is reached, the volume is dimed and I have to introduce more gain.

-Josh