News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sushi Box Black Eye

Started by gordo, July 09, 2022, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This is a cool one.  Nathan over at Sushi Box FX put out a pair of boards for a Soldano GTO type circuit and I'm pretty blown away by it.  He calls it the Black Eye.  I used shielded cable but I don't think it's really necessary.  It's 9v (and about 450mA) in and using electronic voodoo gets tweaked to 235-240v internally.  Similar concept to the old Grind Custom FX STM800.  This works exceptionally well and even with two tubes at high gains and volume this little beast is very quiet.

It's the sound of a cranked SLO and is a bit of a one trick pony but damn what a trick.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Man, that's really sharp. I've seen a circuit for that one that didn't implement the tubes. How does it sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Looks great! You nailed the enclosure and tidy work with the guts. Do the tubes glow?

Invertiguy

Man, that thing is slick! I've been interested in the GTO for awhile now, might have to give this one a shot! Did you drill out the enclosure yourself or order one of the predrilled ones they offer? Either way that is one hell of a clean build!
Doomsday Devices

cooder

Spot on! Very excellent indeed. 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Looks Tight Gordo. Where did you get the enclosure done. I know a guy who wanted to get that done and feels like he overpayed from amplifyfun
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Wow!  That's looks killer.   8) 

peccary

Excellent work! You got that together pretty quick!

gordo

Thanks folks.  I got the enclosure from Nathan.  I think he may have a mill because the machining is just spotless.

Jimi the intent on this thing is to give you the front end of a Soldano SLO and while it doesn't have the tonal range or do the cleans like the real thing it is definitely in the ball park.  Even on my solid state bench amp it inspired a few Scorpions licks.  I was hoping to get it on my live rig this morning but I need to go thru the power ports on my Dunlop brick and make sure I can feed it.  The weird part of church gigs is 6:30 AM rehearsals and a LOT of coffee.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

Gordo that is so sweet and totally not helping me wanting a SLO.

Aleph Null

There's a lot of cool stuff going on here. I'd love to know what your process was for drilling the vent slots.

rrright

I purchased the pcb and the enclosure from Sushi Box. Enclosure is slotted.

jjjimi84

Quote from: rrright on July 14, 2022, 03:57:25 PM
I purchased the pcb and the enclosure from Sushi Box. Enclosure was slotted.

Saw this post and ordered it, I am so excited about this.

Paradox916

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk