News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Metal DC Jack Question

Started by Lgmlgm76, July 12, 2022, 12:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lgmlgm76

Hello, I have a metal dc jack that shorts when I plug in the adapter but when the jack isn't attached to the metal enclosure, and is free floating, the pedal works fine. Also, there are 3 solder posts on this jack. What's the 3rd one for?

Besides insulating the jack from the enclosure with shrink-wrap or something, what's the best approach to fix this? I'll probably be using the plastic insulated jacks next time. Thanks in advance!

EBK

You may be able to find insulating shoulder washers that will provide the isolation you need.

The third terminal is likely for a battery switch.  When you insert a plug into the jack, it pushes the switch open, disconnecting your battery (if you opt to use one).

Welcome to the forum!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

The best approach is to not use it at all, IMO. You might be able to insulate it from the enclosure but it's a failure point waiting to happen. The third solder tab is likely for a battery + connection.

EBK

Yeah, I'm going to defer to Brian's suggestion.  For the cost of the shoulder washers with shipping, you could simply buy a plastic DC jack.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Lgmlgm76

Quote from: EBK on July 12, 2022, 12:54:53 PM
Yeah, I'm going to defer to Brian's suggestion.  For the cost of the shoulder washers with shipping, you could simply buy a plastic DC jack.
Quote from: madbean on July 12, 2022, 12:52:51 PM
The best approach is to not use it at all, IMO. You might be able to insulate it from the enclosure but it's a failure point waiting to happen. The third solder tab is likely for a battery + connection.

Makes perfect sense, I'll just grab a plastic one, thank you both for the swift replies. I just built my first Madbean pedal, Weener Wah, and it's superb! Side question: (Maybe should be a separate post) But how does The Laureate compare to the original, and is it based on the 1993 Natural OD?