News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Imp V2 - not enough gain

Started by twin, September 26, 2022, 09:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin

Hi Beans !

I just finished an "Imp V2" build and everything works fine, except for the gain that seems to be very low. Even with the knob fully CW I can hear a dark distorted fuzzy sound in the background, but the core sound stay in the "mild drive" range.
I can't compare with the original but from demo's I've watched online, this pedal should go from clean to pretty aggressive sounds.
Volume knob's boost range is huge on the other hand... is it normal ?

I messed with D5 and D6, swapping 1N270 with 1N34A but nothing changed.
Sounds like the dirty and clean signal are not blended correctly together.

Anyone experienced something similar with this build ?

mauman

I would suspect a cold solder joint on one or more lugs of the foot switch.  Give it another round of soldering, it should look more like this pic from the build doc, with the holes filled with solder.

jimilee

What does the backside of the board look like? Reflowed anything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

twin

Quote from: mauman on September 26, 2022, 10:11:38 AM
I would suspect a cold solder joint on one or more lugs of the foot switch.  Give it another round of soldering, it should look more like this pic from the build doc, with the holes filled with solder.

Thank you Mauman ! As I said the pedal does work and there's plenty of volume at the output... even if there is a cold solder joint there, it should'nt affect the drive.
I'll give it a try anyway.

The back side is OK, I checked every joints... it doesn't look neat but I couldn't find any cold joint or jump.

Thewintersoldier

Audio probe my guy. Best way to find where the issue is. I'm assuming all your voltages check out with the ones in the build doc right?
Who the hell is Bucky?

twin

Problem solved ! I finally found that my two 1N34A diodes were fried.... clipping was only coming from the IC !
Thank you guys  ;D