News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

max1044a

Started by 9Lives, December 25, 2011, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

I read the directions on the road rage instructions and I'm a lil confused about it. Does this IC work with 18v setup? I hope so.

stecykmi

you can't use it with a 18v input, it's only rated for 10v. you can use it to generate voltages higher than 10v (or -10v for that matter).

9Lives

ok good so I can use it to make 18 from 9?

Haberdasher

yep, sure can.  just make sure to measure your power supply (if it isn't regulated) to make sure it's not over 10v.

I always use tc1044spca instead of the max chip since it can take a little more voltage up front and it's cheaper.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

stecykmi

i think it should be tc1044scpa, not spca, correcting just for the purpose of google searches.

Haberdasher

oops, you're absolutely right.  my bad.
here's a link to the part.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

9Lives

where in the hell can I get one of these chips? I can't smallbear it can I? What's a more exotic IC suplier

jkokura

The TC1044? You can get them at Mouser. I think you could find them on eBay as well.

For what it's worth, if you are placing an order from Smallbear, you should get a MAX1044 from them rather than pay for another shipment - unless you can get free shipping for that chip.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

9Lives

good call. That's what I did. Fortunitly I got lucky this time bc I assumed with out asking. My judgment served me well. Plus.. I'm only really trying to get 18v.. No more. What I wish I could do is select 12v, 15, 18v. That would be so useful. I'm guessing also all the elect. Caps on the road rage are for filtering?

9Lives

sorry to double post but I just had a gnarley idea. I actually ordered a 2nd road rage a few days ago for the hell of it. Would it be a waste of a chip to put 2 of them in the same enclosure on a switch as a multi task tool. Or actually what I'd rather do is have a dual output. Like a dc brick kind of deal. Could I do this off of one 9 volt supply? I have a godlyke daisychain with alot of mA. Could I run a pedal off 12v on one board and 18 from the other at the same time? Or too much?

dromilious

I have found the ICL7660S.can i use it for max1044?

Scruffie

Quote from: 9Lives on December 27, 2011, 08:57:45 AM
sorry to double post but I just had a gnarley idea. I actually ordered a 2nd road rage a few days ago for the hell of it. Would it be a waste of a chip to put 2 of them in the same enclosure on a switch as a multi task tool. Or actually what I'd rather do is have a dual output. Like a dc brick kind of deal. Could I do this off of one 9 volt supply? I have a godlyke daisychain with alot of mA. Could I run a pedal off 12v on one board and 18 from the other at the same time? Or too much?
You could do that, the MAX1044 only has about 10mA output capability, it wont draw too much.

Quote from: dromilious on January 19, 2012, 07:35:46 AM
I have found the ICL7660S.can i use it for max1044?
Yup, same deal, as long as it has that S suffix it'll be fine.
Works at Lectric-FX

dromilious

thanks for your answer.i ordered 10 pieces for 5 dollars :)

9Lives

hey I finally got my road rage working. It was my meter the whole time..... I didn't wanna just plug abd play and fry everything. What I do want to know is if all my +- capacitors are 16v rated will having an 18v supply fry them? By the time the voltage gets to them will it be lower than 18v? If it's just headroom and 16v are ok I'm bout to hook RR's to everything lol.

plesur

For safety's sake it is best to have all your capacitors rated slightly higher than the maximum voltage of your circuit. Capacitors sometimes swell up or even explode when their voltage is exceeded. I would recommend 25V capacitors for running your circuit at 18V. Save the 16V ones for a 9V project.