News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2-Button Amp Switch

Started by thevorticist, August 04, 2022, 02:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thevorticist

HI guys!

I've looked for in the forum and haven't find anything besides the 3PDT guide to understand how it works these switches.

I want to make a 2-button switch for my amp (Supro Delta King 12, with boost and Drive) and I just need to connect 2 3PDT switches to a stereo jack ( thinking about adding a led for each switch) but I can't figure it out how the wiring should be. All the information I find is related to a pcb and 2 (jacks in and out) so I cannot just copy and wiring as the pictures.

Can somebody give a hand here please?
I have attached a picture of what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Aleph Null

You'll only actually need one pole of each foot switch. There's not reason you can't use a 3PDT instead of a SPST; you'll just have leftover lugs. Supro doesn't say much about how the switches are supposed to work, but my guess is that a connection between the tip or the ring and ground turn each effect on or off. You won't know which effect corresponds to tip and which to sleeve until you test. That said, lets assume that the lugs on a 3PDT switch are laid out like this.

Connect the ground wire to lug 2 on both of your switches. Connect the tip wire to lug 1 on switch A. Connect the ring wire to lug 1 on switch B. Test to see which effect turns on when you hit a foot switch, then label it.

mauman

Here are the wiring diagrams, with and without LEDs.

thevorticist

A appreciate the help. Thank you both.

I'm going to try it right away!

gordo

Nice!  On my Peavey there's a sort of phantom power for the LED's but in my googling of the amp it looks like that's not available on the Supro.  The 9v battery option will be an upgrade to the real footswitch and I'd think you'd get a lot of life out of a 9v as long as you remember to turn it off.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

thevorticist

Quote from: gordo on August 04, 2022, 07:04:23 PM
Nice!  On my Peavey there's a sort of phantom power for the LED's but in my googling of the amp it looks like that's not available on the Supro.  The 9v battery option will be an upgrade to the real footswitch and I'd think you'd get a lot of life out of a 9v as long as you remember to turn it off.

I can confirm the Supro does not have this kind of phantom power. I have a Victory Super Duchess with a footswitch for the Reverb and Tremolo with leds, the switch works on the Supro but not the leds.

Yesterday I solder everything, today I'm getting a stereo jack and I'll be able to test it.

Thank you guys again! this forum's community is amazing.

thevorticist

I've finished the footswitch and it works!

Thank you all.