News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger 1.5

Started by gordo, August 05, 2022, 03:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

You know I don't recall if I ever did a build report on this and if so I haven't found it on a search.  I built this about the time it came out and was quite happy with it but having had an original Vibe with the control pedal and even the box, and having it stolen, I've been on the search for a replacement ever since. To be honest, much like the CE-1, I really have a hard time making the judgement as to whether or not it matches the original.  Maybe if it makes me nuts like the first time I played one is a bench mark but it's been 40 some years and my ears and my gear taste has evolved since then.  Still, those sounds never leave your psyche and I'd like to think I can be fairly objective.

This original build sounded quite nice but wasn't really a deal breaker.  By comparison the Voodoo Labs vibe was a decent reference point but it didn't nail it either.  But both got me in the ball park.  And to be honest, by the time it gets out to the audience (or congregation in my case) it was likely a non issue.

Jimi, I'm getting to the point, really.

I replaced the optics with the enclosed Small Bear sensors.  I didn't realize I'd stashed 4 of these and thought it was worth a try.  I also had read that instead of matching them it was easier to get ambient reflections by way of either the enclosure (hard to calibrate) or containment (not a standard part).  By 3d printing an enclosure and then sanding it to shape (I should be good enough to reduce the height but am not yet) and lining it with copper foil I was able to eliminate most of the variables.

Good as the original?  Fucked if I know, but I think this is the closest I've come.  After all the tweaking lessons I've learned from the Collosolus 2022 I think that the devil is in the details.  I don't even know if audio examples would do this justice (although I may do that) because it's user perception.  Still this is pretty thrilling to get to this point.  This pedal kills. 

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

That's a lot or words man. Pedal looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zombie_rock123

Sweet looking build, and I for one love reading long build reports  :D

And "good as the original? Fucked if I know" is my new mantra.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

I really like the enclosure, my kids have a thing for tie-dye so this is right up my alley. Love the cover over the photocells. I lined mine as well after doing research on calibrating the bulb. Fantastic all around!
Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Quote from: gordo on August 05, 2022, 03:04:58 PMI replaced the optics with the enclosed Small Bear sensors.
. . .
By 3d printing an enclosure and then sanding it to shape (I should be good enough to reduce the height but am not yet) and lining it with copper foil I was able to eliminate most of the variables.
. . .
This pedal kills.

I haven't built mine yet, but I'm now you've said that I'm glad I waited until I could source the NSL-7532 photocells. And good call on the lining!  Might do that with my Phasor II as well.

A buddy was saying he wasn't interested in the 'Vibe because it didn't sound like a Leslie. I spent centuries trying to convince him, ignore the marketing BS from the original and look at it as a phaser! I'm hoping now I've got all the parts (at least I think I do) he'll hear the light.