News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your recommended “must build” projects

Started by junkemail86, August 14, 2022, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Hi all,
I've been building for quite a long time.  Have done a lot of pedals, mostly overdrive/distortion/fuzz and compression,  but some delay and modulation as well.  I only find time for ~1 or 2 builds per year now.  What are some "must build" projects if you only could build a couple more in the near future?

Thanks!

mauman

Have you thought about designing your own?  With your experience, you've seen most of the standard circuits.  You could start with your own OD, distortion or fuzz, lay it out, breadboard it to tweak the values, then either build it on veroboard or have a PCB made.  One of a kind!  After than, you could move to designing a modulation for a bigger challenge.

Invertiguy

It's a tough one, but I gotta recommend the Aion Blueshift. Not only is an incredible-sounding circuit that truly is unique among choruses but the build itself feels like a rite of passage; if you can pull it off, you can handle almost anything!
Doomsday Devices

BryGuy

I'm on a bit of a streak this year but I'm usually like you, just 3 maybe 4 builds a year. What are you in to? Really like the pedalPCB Caesar chorus that I built recently. The Tour Bus is definitely on my list for the this fall/winter.

jimilee

Quote from: Invertiguy on August 15, 2022, 02:02:08 AM
It's a tough one, but I gotta recommend the Aion Blueshift. Not only is an incredible-sounding circuit that truly is unique among choruses but the build itself feels like a rite of passage; if you can pull it off, you can handle almost anything!
Oh man, I've been looking at my boards for months now. It's pretty intimidating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

Dead End FX "Larry". If you like flangers, this will obliterate any of them.
https://www.deadendfx.com/product/larry
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

culturejam

I would recommend the madbean Total Recall (DMM clone). It's challenging but fun and the final product is stellar.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

junkemail86

Quote from: mauman on August 14, 2022, 08:14:04 AM
Have you thought about designing your own?  With your experience, you've seen most of the standard circuits.  You could start with your own OD, distortion or fuzz, lay it out, breadboard it to tweak the values, then either build it on veroboard or have a PCB made.  One of a kind!  After than, you could move to designing a modulation for a bigger challenge.

I've done some basic stuff like combining parts of existing circuits.  My favorite was adding a tone control to a one knob fuzz, surprisingly nice sound for a simple circuit.  I don't have the knowledge to build a circuit from scratch

junkemail86

Quote from: Invertiguy on August 15, 2022, 02:02:08 AM
Looks like a cool one!  A bit daunting though.
I have done some reasonably complicated builds in the past.  When I started, PCBs were scarce and I was too stubborn to learn to etch.  So I wired a zvex Seek Wah on perf board haha

junkemail86

Quote from: BryGuy on August 15, 2022, 04:30:15 PM
I'm on a bit of a streak this year but I'm usually like you, just 3 maybe 4 builds a year. What are you in to? Really like the pedalPCB Caesar chorus that I built recently. The Tour Bus is definitely on my list for the this fall/winter.
I'm into high gain stuff, but have mostly exhausted those  circuits.  I don't use as much modulation as I used to, but have almost bought the Julia a few times.  This might be a front runner, thanks!

junkemail86

Quote from: lars on August 15, 2022, 06:29:42 PM
Dead End FX "Larry". If you like flangers, this will obliterate any of them.
https://www.deadendfx.com/product/larry
That's awesome!  But probably too ridiculous for me at the moment heh

junkemail86

Quote from: culturejam on August 16, 2022, 04:58:45 PM
I would recommend the madbean Total Recall (DMM clone). It's challenging but fun and the final product is stellar.
Another intriguing option.  Are the chips hard to source?

BryGuy

Quote from: junkemail86 on August 19, 2022, 04:25:14 PM
I'm into high gain stuff, but have mostly exhausted those  circuits.  I don't use as much modulation as I used to, but have almost bought the Julia a few times.  This might be a front runner, thanks!

Yeah I'm enjoying mine but haven't boxed it up yet lol. Finally got working chips and life is good. CabinTech has NOS bucket brigades but not clocks last I checked. If you get in a bind and can't find them I have a few extras.

Madbean has a similar pcb the pork barrel but not exactly the same. Doesn't have the lag knob or the toggle switch if I remember correctly.

junkemail86

Quote from: BryGuy on August 19, 2022, 07:23:34 PM
Quote from: junkemail86 on August 19, 2022, 04:25:14 PM
I actually built a pork barrel a while back.  Maybe I can mod it a bit
Yeah I'm enjoying mine but haven't boxed it up yet lol. Finally got working chips and life is good. CabinTech has NOS bucket brigades but not clocks last I checked. If you get in a bind and can't find them I have a few extras.

Madbean has a similar pcb the pork barrel but not exactly the same. Doesn't have the lag knob or the toggle switch if I remember correctly.