News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCBs in airplane luggage?!

Started by Tremster, August 15, 2022, 11:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

Hey,
I haven't posted here in a while, and I haven't built a pedal either.

Since Covid hit there have been problems with overseas shipping, and shipping rates have gone up more than is reasonable. And the parcels are on their way for a long time, and tax, and customs ......
It's handy that a friend of mine will travel to the USA in September, and she has agreed to bring back some PCBs, she just doesn't want any unforeseen surprises at the airports.
She would have one domestic flight, and then the flight back from USA to Europe.

This might be a stupid question, but you never know what rules for flights they come up with next, so I better ask. Maybe they see electronic components as a threat, who knows.
Can you bring several handfuls of PCBs on an American domestic flight, and on a transantlantic flight?
I guess it shouldn't be a problem if you have the invoice that's in the Madbean envelope the PCBs come in, right? Right?

Thank you!

cooder

When I was in the States four years ago I of course bought a ton of stuff from Smallbear and TubesandMore to bring over to NZ, in fact half of my suitcase was full with ICs, tubes, pcbs and wire and all. It was no problem to have in the suitcase (I didn't have it in onboard luggage) and it went through domestic and international flights and customs, no problems.
However, every time I picked up my suitcase I had a note inside that they checked the content and opened the suitcase, it must have looked somewhat... well... unusual... to them. Undies, socks, T-shirts and wire and tubes.
BigNoise Amplification

madbean

Yeah, I would like to think loose parts and bare PCBs would be no problem at all. Now, a bunch of populated PCBs might pique the interest of the TSA. I can imagine trying to explain "they're just built circuit boards for guitar pedals" to that crowd :)

thesmokingman

I've flown with entire computer motherboards in my carry-on. It should be fine and easy enough to explain in screening should they ask.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

BricksnBeatles

Quote from: madbean on August 16, 2022, 05:23:35 AM
Yeah, I would like to think loose parts and bare PCBs would be no problem at all. Now, a bunch of populated PCBs might pique the interest of the TSA. I can imagine trying to explain "they're just built circuit boards for guitar pedals" to that crowd :)
Fun story. I had a Brassmaster clone from Russia held up by the post office for 2 months after arriving in NY. They were convinced it was a weapon or spy equipment of some sort, and apparently it took 2 months before someone decided to just Google "Hiero BEAD" and discover that it was just a music thing. The NYS postmaster called me himself to apologize for holding it up so long and told me to give him a call if I ever had a problem again because they were so embarrassed by the whole situation.

jimilee

The guy that does the traveling Les Paul memorabilia exhibit said he caught hell with guns out when he was taking some of the old pedals through the airport. Wires and circuit boards and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Posting to keep it on my radar.

Actively interested in this topic, especially populated and completed builds. I was planning on bringing a few overseas as gifts while going on vacation to save on postage (since I'm already going). Sounds like I'll need some extra, extra time to get it all settled.

I'm hoping the ol tyrannical travel police don't execute their whimsical discernment…

Edit: definitely going to put them in my checked luggage

benny_profane

Keep in mind that lost checked luggage is a bit out of control at the moment. Definitely document anything you'll be checking so, if things do indeed get lost, you'll have everything you need to follow up with insurance.

jimilee

Just get Brian to write you a prescription for whatever pedals you're taking, you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on August 16, 2022, 10:51:39 AM
Just get Brian to write you a prescription for whatever pedals you're taking, you should be good.

🤣

Strategy

I've gone on tour with modular synth equipment and that draws a lot of questions, including being required to power stuff up to see that it's real electronics, not prop gear concealing something illicit, etc.
Mainly just in the U.S. of course.

Tremster

Alright, thanks everyone!
I'll take the risk and place an order.
How long would it take a Madbean deliverey to arrive in California? I'll have to order at the right time so it arrives while she's there (2 weeks, I think).

jessenator

Quote from: Strategy on August 16, 2022, 12:57:43 PM
I've gone on tour with modular synth equipment and that draws a lot of questions, including being required to power stuff up to see that it's real electronics, not prop gear concealing something illicit, etc.
Mainly just in the U.S. of course.

so probably a good idea to bring along a wall wart for pedals? nice thing about modular stuff is you can just pop a mains plug into it.

Phil Hodson

I have been travelling for the past two years with circuit boards and passive components like resistors and caps and diodes etc.
I used to have to isolate for 5 days prior to joining my work site so I used to travel with a small sanity helper which included pedal kits and some basic tools like soldering iron etc.
I used to populate all the basic and time consuming bits before taking them home to finish them.
They were all in checked luggage and not hand luggage but I was never asked once what they were. I used the Tayda bubble wrap and anti static bags too just in case.
So far the only issues I have found have been from my building, not from flying with them 🤣

lars

"Did anybody put something into your luggage without your knowledge?"
"I guess we'll both find out once we're airborne."

That person has never been seen again.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....