News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Interesting issue on a production pedal

Started by Bret608, September 20, 2022, 05:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

So, I've never built a DIY delay project because I'm generally very satisfied with my EQD Disaster Transport. This pedal has an interesting issue of late though. I only get signal in effect mode, and my setup is dead silent in bypass. I probed the footswitch and have continuity in the right spots in bypass vs. effect. Any thoughts? I started a help ticket with EQD in the event I can't figure it out (they have an excellent warranty!); just curious to learn from this if possible.

thesmokingman

The continuity issue you want to investigate would be whether the jumper that runs from the input side of the switch to the output side is intact as that should be your single point of failure if this is a true bypass effect.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Bret608

I know, right? I would have totally thought that jumper was the issue, but I'm getting continuity across according to my meter. I might try manually jumpering those two lugs with alligator clips to see if that gives me back the bypass signal.

Bio77

Where did you buy your BBDs?  Just kidding, that's the goto on other forums. ;D

Can you post a pic?

thesmokingman

I suppose the other thing to consider is whether either side of that jumper somehow has found ground ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on September 20, 2022, 12:29:35 PM
Where did you buy your BBDs?  Just kidding, that's the goto on other forums. ;D

Can you post a pic?
You must be talking about the kids table lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Tell you what, if I can't get this figured out by the end the evening, I will indeed post a pic or two! Thanks, all.

Bret608

Hmm, where did EQD get their BBDs? Just kidding! So, I am getting continuity across that jumper that goes from the in to the out side of the switch. No continuity with ground either. However, the center left lug just above the in side of the jumper (which is at bottom left) was not immediately getting continuity with the lugs on either side of the jumper. However, it did so after I turned the switch on an off a few times. That makes it look like the switch is going dodgy internally. I bet if I plug this thing in it will be working in bypass again! At least for now...

jimilee

Quote from: Bret608 on September 21, 2022, 01:14:50 PM
Hmm, where did EQD get their BBDs? Just kidding! So, I am getting continuity across that jumper that goes from the in to the out side of the switch. No continuity with ground either. However, the center left lug just above the in side of the jumper (which is at bottom left) was not immediately getting continuity with the lugs on either side of the jumper. However, it did so after I turned the switch on an off a few times. That makes it look like the switch is going dodgy internally. I bet if I plug this thing in it will be working in bypass again! At least for now...

That's exactly what it means. They make fix it for you if you ask them to.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

You know, I reached out and they said they'd still fix it for free if I send it in as it's still under warranty. I would have to pay the to and from shipping, though. Maybe worth it just to throw a new footswitch in the cart next time I'm over at LMS and do it myself.

jimilee

If it was 100.00 pedal, I'd say do it, otherwise , I'd just save myself the headache and send it. It may void the warranty if something else goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

I see what you mean! I got it on sale, but it was more than $100 for sure. As expected, I tried it out this morning and the bypass is working again. So as we thought, the 3PDT is in its death spiral.

jimilee

Quote from: Bret608 on September 22, 2022, 11:47:24 AM
I see what you mean! I got it on sale, but it was more than $100 for sure. As expected, I tried it out this morning and the bypass is working again. So as we thought, the 3PDT is in its death spiral.
Oh yeah, definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk