News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quadratron not passing signal

Started by Mbornhoft77, September 05, 2022, 05:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

Quote from: Mbornhoft77 on September 09, 2022, 07:46:29 PM
I honestly can't believe how easy it was to diagnose the issue using the audio probe. I thought it would be this long, arduous process. I checked the rest of the main PCB and it's solid. So...it would be possible to wire the 2 foot switches, 2 resistors, 1 cap, true/buffered bypass switch, and LEDs without using the PCB foot switch, right? It's just a matter of following the traces to their respective components and probably some jumpers and wiring to the foot switches? I am so determined to get this thing working before the weekends' done. The new episode of the JHS Show is entitled, 'You Need A Phaser.' It's taunting me.
It would probably be easier just to wire it as true bypass and leave it at that.
If you want to repro the whole thing, first I'd try just correcting any issue on the pcb with jumpers. Unless you totally toasted it, that would be easiest. Otherwise, you could mount the slider switch and other components to perfboard or stripboard. The tricky thing there is getting all your solders and jumper on without the grounding out once you mount the switch. I haven't looked but I'm guessing the switch isn't chassis mounted, only pcb mounted. If that's the case, also a problem.
If it were me, if I could fix the board with jumpering, I'd just put one switch in as true bypass and try and get another board. But if you have some perfboard and spare components, wouldn't hurt to try.
Curious if you overheated your switches initially. I caution to only do one lug and let it cool.
Good luck and happy you got it nearly sorted.

Mbornhoft77

Yeah...I completely fried the footswitch PCB. I definitely overheated the bypass switch, so much so that the solder pads melted off and I even somehow damaged the traces on the board as well. I need to slow down and use a bit of a lighter touch, I think. jwin615, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'm definitely going to take your advice and solder the lugs on my footswitches more carefully. I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to get the pedal to work but I'm going to order another PCB and try again.

gordo

I've been doing this since fire was invented and I just recently fried pads trying to update an Aion board.  Stupid mistake and certainly not isolated to being new at the game.  You develop a touch over time and then from time to time completely lose it again while troubleshooting.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

LaceSensor

Quote from: Mbornhoft77 on September 09, 2022, 07:46:29 PM
I honestly can't believe how easy it was to diagnose the issue using the audio probe. I thought it would be this long, arduous process. I checked the rest of the main PCB and it's solid. So...it would be possible to wire the 2 foot switches, 2 resistors, 1 cap, true/buffered bypass switch, and LEDs without using the PCB foot switch, right? It's just a matter of following the traces to their respective components and probably some jumpers and wiring to the foot switches? I am so determined to get this thing working before the weekends' done. The new episode of the JHS Show is entitled, 'You Need A Phaser.' It's taunting me.

yes you can wire it to the components. Check continuities first with a multimeter (hopefully you have one) it might be you dont need to jumper absolutely everything, depending what you broke :)