News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone here had back spinal surgery? Or Family/Friends that have?

Started by peAk, September 22, 2022, 06:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Quote from: peAk on February 13, 2023, 03:05:17 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 11, 2023, 04:02:33 PM
Hey Peak, hope you are progressing. I've not had back surgery but in my profession, work comp related, I've paid for hundreds, talked to many people nurses included, read hundreds of MRI's including my own, read many articles etc... I guess I have second hand experience other than my own 30 year history of back pain. Anyone with 1 herniated disc, assuming said herniation is pressing on the spinal cord, rarely gets out of it without some kind of back surgery. Four? Holy moly dude no question you had no choice.

That xray you show, man that disc came out to party as that is one pretty good indentation. Did you get a fusion? How many levels and what levels?

If you don't care to travel down that historical path, no problem. I totally understand. Had I been on here last year I certainly would have chimed in.

Hey John,

All good, no worries. I am open about the whole thing. First and foremost, I am doing great. I did not have a fusion yet but if L4/L5 herniates again, I will definitely have to have a fusion. The first surgery was a laminectomy & discectomy where they cut some of the spinal bone so they can get to the protruded disc. Then they cut the disc. Since the same disc reherniated again right after surgery, they were able to go back in and just do the discectomy since the opening in the bone was already done.

I'm a little over three months out and doing pretty well. I still get some sciatica tingles in my leg when I am laying down but its not too big of a deal. My back starts to ache when I do too much around the house but thats expected. I think my L5/S1 causes some of that as well. Hoping with proper back mechanics and really listening to my spine, I can avoid too much more deterioration of my back. If I am being honest, with all the research I have done on it, my confidence is low that this is over. I think for anyone that has gone through this before, even after surgery when you are feeling great, the anxiety of it happening again is absolutely killer.

I'm keeping weight down, don't smoke/drink, and trying to be active as can be without being stupid (deadlifts...ha!). I also try to limit my sitting as much as humanly possible.

Hey Justin. Man 3 months out for that kind of surgery is still the incubation stage of recovery as you know after researching. It does sound like you are finally going in the right direction. The fusion thing is really a crap shoot on to get or not to get it for low back. Standard for neck surgery the past 20+ years. I've had back pain daily for decades but in my case the annulus is herniated at L4-5 but the disc hasn't come out to play. I dread the day it does. I have bulges at all the other levels. But as you know you have to keep going and be smart, which I probably have not been over the years with the projects I've taken on.

You mention deadlifts. Do you lift? I quit doing those many years ago due to back issues. I work around it.

Your fear of this not being over is understandable but I'll say this knowing you had surgery times two and I have not. There is what I call a base line pain that I always settle into whenever I tweak it. I accept it for what it is and roll on. I don't let it get me down the best I can. If all goes perfect you will likely have some pain that will just be part of your day ( I mean pain free would be killer but I'm a realist). Keep pushing and do what you can. Out of all the injuries I've had/have the back is the most squirrely thing I've dealt with. So damn unpredictable. Heck the doctors really have a hard time trying to explain exactly what is causing what at times.

Anyway, I wish you well. I know it is tough.
John

peAk

Yeah, I definitely don't lift weights anymore. This whole thing started 14 years ago when I was lifting weights. Got a back flare up in the locker room after working out and that began my screwed up back journey.  1-2 flare ups a year where I couldnt walk (if I did, I was crooked) that would last a week or two. While they were horrible, like you mentioned, I could deal with it for the most part.

Fast forward to Oct 2022, I was waking up one morning in bed and felt a tad bit stiff. I decided I would do that hamstring/glute stretch where you bring your knees up to your chest and wrap your arms around them, similar to when you do a cannonball jumping in the pool. Well, I guess my disc wasnt having it and at that point my nucleus shot through the annular wall. Within about 12 hrs, I was in the ER in excruciating pain that I had never felt before. This time it was not local to my back, this shot down from my left butt all the way to my toes. I thought back pain was bad but this was next level stuff.

So if you havent had it shoot down your leg yet, that is great. I totally agree with you, some back pain/flare ups is manageable but when it starts down your legs, it becomes something else. I would have never had back surgery in a million years but I could no longer work, sleep, etc. I went to a very dark dark place mentally. Luckily, the surgery really got me back to about as normal as I can be. I can still do most of my hobbies..... however, lighting weights is not in the cards for me. That's okay. ...haha. 

Caedarn

Hey just found this thread. Glad you're doing better.  I had similar surgery to remove a 'free fragment' from my spine back in 2009, when I was 45.  The surgeon told me I'd likely have some permanent nerve damage, and to this day my left leg gives me problems.  But I am still MUCH better off having had the surgery.  I also have 4 ruptured discs and other issues, but nothing too awful.  You're so right about watching the body mechanics and so on.  I learned a lot of good techniques and exercises in physical therapy.  Wish I'd learned it earlier!

peAk

Quote from: Caedarn on February 18, 2023, 02:45:45 AM
Hey just found this thread. Glad you're doing better.  I had similar surgery to remove a 'free fragment' from my spine back in 2009, when I was 45.  The surgeon told me I'd likely have some permanent nerve damage, and to this day my left leg gives me problems.  But I am still MUCH better off having had the surgery.  I also have 4 ruptured discs and other issues, but nothing too awful.  You're so right about watching the body mechanics and so on.  I learned a lot of good techniques and exercises in physical therapy.  Wish I'd learned it earlier!

Awesome to hear you are doing well, especially after having surgery so long ago. I have read about fragments breaking off and them having a hard time getting it all out, especially if its been in there for a long time. Luckily, with both of mine happening so fast, they were still attached.

Thanks for adding your story, it really helps me mentally to hear when people had successful surgeries that didnt lead to more surgeries.