News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Monitors

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 25, 2022, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I'm getting back into recording and want to upgrade from my old presonus 3.5" monitors to something better and bigger. I've always heard KRK rokit 5s. the newer G4 series has a lot of nice features and the rokits have always had a reputation for good sound and bang for the buck. Any suggestions, or anyone use rokits? My budget will be between 150 and 200 per monitor.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

I'm about neck deep in IK Multimedia stuff but I hear really good things about their iLoud series.  Not sure what the price is though.  I have a pair of original KRK Rockit5's that I love but I think they're a bunch dated.  Still, I'm used to the sound and I can use them as a reference between my headphones (also ancient) and my Chevy Volt Bose system.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

BryGuy

I have some OG rocket 8s. There pretty nice but do take up some space. I'm sure their newer stuff is even better.

jwin615

Aside from early gen KRKs, always had a translation issue. I'm a huge fan of ADAM speakers, but they're a bit out of your price range. I'm a fan of well implemented ribbon tweeters in general. The lower crossover point and transient response just adds so much detail.
A quick check shows the ADAM TV at sweetwater for $299 each. Haven't heard them but I'm betting, for the price, you'd be happy. 5 stars on Sweetwater...
EVE Audio(started by former ADAM engineer, see what they did?) have nice offerings as well. May be able to find some used ones close to your price range.
Kali Audio LP-8s are another great choice in that range. Way more linear than KRKs and pretty clean as well. There's a bit of phase smear at the crossover point but nowhere near as bad as I've heard on newer KRKs.
I don't mean to hate on KRKs, they're good "speakers" but they're not good monitors. The E8s were great. Even some of the 6k an 7k were usable. But the rokit series started a design to price point goal and never looked back. I've heard that the classic 8 inches is better...
For midfields, you may be able to find some Event 3 ways in that range used. There's the 2030 and another model I can't recall that came before it. Sound great LOUD, as midfields are designed to be. At lower volumes, they get unbalanced.
I always recommend listening to known amterial though. Find a local showroom and take a cd of songs you are very familiar with.
In the end, your listening environment will probably hurt you more than your speakers anyway.
A solid set of cans is invaluable.(I love Ultrasounds for those).
Rock on.

Thewintersoldier

I definitely understand and agree with the statement about the room. The new G4 KRKs have a dsp analysis to help set the EQ of the monitor to the room. That's why I was leaning towards those.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aleph Null

You might consider a good set of headphones. I mix with a pair of Sennheiser HD600. It's a very honest set of headphones and definitely in your price range. I get good results as long as I check frequently in mono.

jkokura

I've been using the same set of Event TR6's for 15 years or so now, and they've been great.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Aleph Null on September 27, 2022, 09:09:59 AM
You might consider a good set of headphones. I mix with a pair of Sennheiser HD600. It's a very honest set of headphones and definitely in your price range. I get good results as long as I check frequently in mono.
I have a pair Sennheiser HD280 pro and get good results but I also want to have a decent set of monitors.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jwin615

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on September 26, 2022, 10:40:28 AM
I definitely understand and agree with the statement about the room. The new G4 KRKs have a dsp analysis to help set the EQ of the monitor to the room. That's why I was leaning towards those.
Room correction software is only as good as the room. Anything less than 300 sq ft that isn't treated and it will suck a lot of the bass out trying to "correct" it. Better off using a room mode calculator and a linear phase eq with oversampling imo.  Or, that plus a measurement mic and Room EQ Wizard or the like.
If you do use the onboard correction, note that it is probably done digitally. If so, feed a digital(likely spdif) signal to avoid an extra ADDA stage.

The correction software can work, but don't expect the result to necessarily sounds good.
I'd recommend buying from somewhere with a lenient return policy. Make sure you check their monitor specific policy. IIRC, guitar center has a separate policy for monitors.
You may find the two results or either a muddy mess or a great lack of low end. But, it may sound great to you as well. I have to remind myself often that not everyone went to school for audio engineering and are capable of listening without being as critical as I find myself being at times, for better or worse.
Google machine "room mode calculator" and have a look at what kind of build ups your room will have. Take specifics measurements.