News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rockman Dist/Edge in a pedal format

Started by gordo, September 29, 2022, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This is a combo of pedals.  Part of the tricky part of getting a Rockman out in a live situation was that they were noisy as f**k.  There's been a renewed interest in that sound (likely due to the Def Leppard and Top Gun activity).  You could get this gear for pennies on the dollar around 2000 onward but by about 2010 the prices started to climb and entire business' were built on refurbing old gear.  PedalPCB put out their clone of the Rockman Ultimatum, which is the pedal format of the Dist thru Edge setting with variable Gain and Treble/Bass controls.  I'd been bugging Robert to do this for ages but I'd been focusing on the Rockman itself.  This pedal makes much more sense.

The graphics are definitely low hanging fruit since the essential Boston sound on the first two albums was serial Marshalls.  So sue me.

The Degenerator project is a great variation on what Scholz Research and Development (SRD) called "Echo" because you can get the tight reverby delays and roll the top end off to duplicate it.  Bonus is that this is a terrific delay that can have long bright repeats as well.

You could use pretty much any chorus between the two to duplicate the "doubling" sound but I really like Bio77's take on the Ibanez chorus because it's capable of so many different voices.  With two LFO's you can get thick as a brick but being able to set the depth on both can go REALLY subtle as well.

Gutshots available upon request but I think we know what's involved here...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Woah, first bi-chorus I've seen in the wild.  8)  Looks great, I'm stoked you dig it!  I've got the Degenerator in my stash but it's been hard to get time to build, recently. 

Requesting gut shots, please.  That's why we're here, dude  ;D 

gordo

Here's the goods:

BiChorus in a lasered 125b with a Madbean Softie 3PDT-03 that lets the LED fade in and out.  The only NMJ2068 I could find was SMD so I soldered it to an adapter board with legs so that it's socketed.

Degenerator in a 1590b (I like that size).  It's a stock build with one of the last of my PT stock.  Made it with a socketed DC jack in case I need to remove the board.  I'll never remove the board.

And the Ultimatum.  This is shiny so it's impossible to photograph and the shadows make the graphics look kinda weird.  I need to get a slick setup like wintersoldier's.  It also exaggerates the ripples in the finish.  I left the I/O wires topside in case I needed to replace them with shielded.  I don't.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

You're on fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Thanks for posting, Gordo.  Those look great! 

I like the NMJ2068 because I read an article doing a dual op-amp shoot-out and that one was the best bang for buck, but any old dual would work.  I bought a big stash if you ever need another. 

blackhatboojum

8)Nice!  I'm totally digging all of these
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

BricksnBeatles

Looks stellar gordo! Only thing missing is sound clips of those rad boxes all together ;)

Thewintersoldier

these are great Gordo and I really need to build my boards from John. Might just be my next modulation project
Who the hell is Bucky?