News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB fab options…

Started by jessenator, September 30, 2022, 10:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

So something that I've been chewing on lately is the cost of small run PCBs for the kinds of projects we do.

I'm the kind of person who would rather buy from a small business than an Amazon when it's practical. Similarly, I'd rather order PCBs from a place supporting hobbyists and doesn't appear to operate as a loss leader. I honestly don't know the answers, and I might be making wild speculation, but it's hard for me to imagine a place like JLPCB (where I've done every project I've put together) making a decent profit.

And it's a similar situation that I'm seeing from all of the CN-based fabs, PCBWay, PCBGoGo (same company?), and a couple of others that would actually give me an instant quote (at least based on dimensions) that didn't require an email/login. It's anywhere from 40¢ to $2 per board (I'm using the same size for each: 3300 x 2150 mil) for all of these offshore fabricators (min 5 order)

As far as US-based (from my cursory search), OSHPark is the only one who would quote me instantly. Their bid was over $10 per board (min 3 order).

I'm kind of in a quandary. I'm not sure which one is the more ethical choice to make…I wish there was some middle ground. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised that compared to other fabricators OSHPark is a middle price.

The off-shore fabs just seem far too close to each other, and far too unrealistic given the price gap.

But anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for getting boards made I'd be happy to know of them.

mjg

I use Elecrow, which is pretty much the same deal as the other ones you mention.  I think they make their profit by doing things in bulk - it's not just your board that they are producing, they will be doing a heap at once.  Elecrow also makes their own products, sells components, etc.  so I guess the PCB making is just part of their business.

I looked into getting some made here in Australia, and much the same as OSHPark, the prices are much higher locally. 

Not sure if that helps!

jessenator

Quote from: mjg on September 30, 2022, 11:53:21 PM
I use Elecrow, which is pretty much the same deal as the other ones you mention.  I think they make their profit by doing things in bulk - it's not just your board that they are producing, they will be doing a heap at once.  Elecrow also makes their own products, sells components, etc.  so I guess the PCB making is just part of their business.

I looked into getting some made here in Australia, and much the same as OSHPark, the prices are much higher locally. 

Not sure if that helps!

Thanks, Matt. I'll give them a look for sure. I want to say I've heard that name before, but I might not have considered fabrication at the time.

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on October 02, 2022, 02:18:34 AM
Quote from: mjg on September 30, 2022, 11:53:21 PM

Not sure if that helps!

Thanks, Matt. I'll give them a look for sure. I want to say I've heard that name before, but I might not have considered fabrication at the time.
I used them once. I like them, but I don't like the minimum of 10 they so, instead of the 5 that JLC does. 10 is a bit much if you're just doing a proto, great if you're ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on October 02, 2022, 02:34:49 PM
I used them once. I like them, but I don't like the minimum of 10

oh, looks like they changed it  :D  that's good news, then.

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on October 02, 2022, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 02, 2022, 02:34:49 PM
I used them once. I like them, but I don't like the minimum of 10

oh, looks like they changed it  :D  that's good news, then.

Nice. I've been getting a ton of emails from them lately. They may have had to make that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.