News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What should I do?

Started by massatony, October 10, 2022, 09:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massatony

Okay so i'm addicted to making pedals. After around 150 (or more) pedals my wife wants me to stop and get rid of them. Do I get rid of the pedals :( ...........or the wife?

Ps I do love her.

Willybomb

You sell them to fund other builds or gear.  I've funded a few guitars through selling mine.

jessenator

Quote from: Willybomb on October 10, 2022, 10:21:49 PM
You sell them to fund other builds or gear.  I've funded a few guitars through selling mine.
This.

I'm NOWHERE near your number, OP, but I'm cutting myself off, personally, from new projects until I sell the ones I have. But yeah, it's super fun!

massatony

Have sold/given away about 30. The ones I have sold tend to be to ppl coming back for more. Which is the best place to sell, as I have no luck on our local gumtree. And is it better to have YouTube sound sample?
BTW I tend to make  pedals that are worth over $150, unless I really like it for myself.

jimilee

I stopped boxing everything I build, some of them sound no different from others. Marriage counseling is the best move here. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

I've built like 200 or so the past 5 or so years. Maybe play them more and take a break for a while. That's what I'm doing. Also you might be spending so much time building she feels neglected. Maybe you build so much because you're  avoiding something? If you love her you'll figure something out to get more balance.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Can you post pics of your wife.  :)

Seriously though I found that during lockdown I binge built to maintain some sort of normality till it wasn't. At some point you'll find that the process has a low expectation to return level and it's time to refocus.

The focus factor can be addicting.  I find it a brain drain to build but at the same time are you avoiding something else by focusing your attention on building?  Having your wife noticing your lack of attention is "normal" for the hobby but can also be a red flag.

I've been doing this long enough (translate: I'm an old fart) that you really have to be careful where the hobby takes you.  As with any hobby there are a lot of personal/financial implications beyond being able to create objects that are beyond your budget, or no longer attainable at a reasonale level.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Big Monk

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on October 11, 2022, 08:22:05 AM
Also you might be spending so much time building she feels neglected. Maybe you build so much because you're  avoiding something? If you love her you'll figure something out to get more balance.

This.

When a hobby becomes and obsession (a.k.a. compulsion), then maybe you pump the brakes a little and look around.
My name is Derek Scott. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon..."

Aleph Null

Maybe start breadboarding circuits before building them? It's a great way to try a circuit out without committing to building it. It's saved me a lot of time, money, and shelf space.

Also, marriage counseling; even happy couples should get some counseling every once in a while to keep things running smoothly.

massatony

I'm retired....69.   And have plenty of time to make pedals, play guitar, play Destiny and spend time with my wife.... which is not the problem. It's just that she thinks I have too many. I honestly believe that at my age it is a brain workout making these circuits, which can't be all that bad.
Seriously though, I enjoy making my own PCB's and the rest that goes with it. I agree with OP that not all  builds should be boxed. I have about 20 like that and one day I'll get around to experimenting with them.

jimilee

Quote from: massatony on October 13, 2022, 01:28:03 AM
I'm retired....69.   And have plenty of time to make pedals, play guitar, play Destiny and spend time with my wife.... which is not the problem. It's just that she thinks I have too many. I honestly believe that at my age it is a brain workout making these circuits, which can't be all that bad.
Seriously though, I enjoy making my own PCB's and the rest that goes with it. I agree with OP that not all  builds should be boxed. I have about 20 like that and one day I'll get around to experimenting with them.
Oh yeah, it's very therapeutic for me too. Let's me clear my head and think about stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I say if the money and time aren't an issue AND you enjoy doing it then find a way to offload stuff so you don't just have it sitting around. You could sell stuff at a resonable price. Give stuff to your friends or people you know that play in local bands. There are a decent amount of charities that work with either kids or vets that teach them music and get them playing in bands or whatnot, you could always see if there is something like that locally and offer to donate some pedals.

mjg

If it's the pcb layout and soldering, etc, that you enjoy, maybe there is another area of diy electronics that you can dive into for a while, rather than more pedals?  Bonus points if your wife had a hobby that you can create a pcb for her to help with some part of it. 

Or...get into eurorack synth.  There's plenty of scope for endless building of modules, and they don't look like they take up so much room once they are all slotted into a rack 😅

lars

Well, some people have over 150 cats...
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

gordo

I just finished working on a kid's Blues Junior (I don't do very many repairs lately but the kid needed his amp) and I'll probably send him home with a couple pedals.

So -2  ;D
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?