News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Schematic questions

Started by Jay.lingelbach, October 12, 2022, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay.lingelbach

Question on an aion fx schematic about some labels and what they mean.

https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/radian_documentation.pdf

It's for a rangemaster. VA, -VA and pwr_gnd.

I've googled it and VA came up with "A volt-ampere (VA) is a measurement of power in a direct current (DC) electrical circuit." I'm not sure how to translate that to english or eagle lol.

And power ground doesn't really return anything useful. Maybe ya'll would have some better answers for a newb?

Jay

mauman

"VA" is just a designation for V+ or positive voltage, in this case the +9V from your battery or power supply once it's been protected and filtered.

"-VA" is the negative 9V generated by the charge pump IC1, since this is a positive ground circuit (ground is more positive than battery.)

"Power ground"  (three horizontal bars) is the ground for the power circuit.  "GND" (little triangles) is the ground for the audio part of the circuit, which some layouts keep separate from power ground, to minimize noise, until they're connected at a single point somewhere in the circuit.

<edit> There are also other possibilities that are not used on this particular schematic. 

Vreference (VR) or Vbias (VB) are reference or bias voltages (same thing) for transistors or op amps.  They're used in a single supply circuit (positive voltage and ground) and are often half of the supply voltage.  In a +9V circuit, VR or VB will usually be +4.5 volts. 

And in a dual supply circuit, instead of +V and ground, you'll have +V and -V which are often but not always equal, like +9V and -9V, or +15V and -15V.  Bonus fact: in a dual supply circuit, the halfway reference voltage VB or VR can be ground, since zero is halfway between +9V and -9V. 

Jay.lingelbach

mjg

Another way to look at is that you just need to join up all the things with the same label.  It could be called "banana" instead of "VA" and it would do the same thing electrically.   ;)   

As Mauman explained, there are all sorts of conventions for what these things mean usually...but when it comes down to it, they're labels. 

Aentons

Quote from: mjg on October 12, 2022, 08:40:28 PM
Another way to look at is that you just need to join up all the things with the same label.  It could be called "banana" instead of "VA" and it would do the same thing electrically.   ;)   

As Mauman explained, there are all sorts of conventions for what these things mean usually...but when it comes down to it, they're labels.
If you hook it up to a banana, it won't turn on. :)

I get your intent but I would disagree and think It's better to know what things mean.

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on October 13, 2022, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: mjg on October 12, 2022, 08:40:28 PM

If you hook it up to a banana, it won't turn on. :)

I get your intent but I would disagree and think It's better to know what things mean.

But what about a potato?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjg

Lol, yeah, don't use a potato, we saw how that turned out in Portal. 

Sure, I totally agree, it's good to know what these things signify.  Just offering an alternative 'quick start' if you want to just follow the schematic by numbers.